1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Keep the ACC tournament in Greensboro

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wickedwritah, Feb 22, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Saw something on the NCAA tournament being in Tampa, so I decided to check out the future schedule:

Future dates and sites for the ACC Men's Basketball Tournament:
    2007 - Tampa, Fla.
    2008 - Charlotte, N.C.
    2009 - Georgia Dome, Atlanta, Ga.
    2010 - Greensboro, N.C.
    2011 - Greensboro, N.C.
    2012 - Georgia Dome, Atlanta, Ga.
    2013 - Greensboro, N.C.
    2014 - Greensboro, N.C.
    2015 - Greensboro, N.C.

So they're going from 2006 until 2010 without playing the tourney in Greensboro. Sure, they're nice sites that they're headed to, but that tournament belongs in Greensboro. Always feels weird seeing it played somewhere else.

The ACC in Greensboro is analogous to the Big East in MSG -- with a touch more tradition.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

FUUUUUUCK that shit. All Carolina Conference. Fuck Greensboro. An arena with nothing distinguishable except the fact that it's an hour, tops, from four schools that then get a completely unfair advantage. And fuck John Swofford, just because.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

You bitter Maryland fan.

Fine, move it every so often, but don't go four years without coming back to the homestead.

4. Flying Headbutt

There's been a stretch where every other year it was played outside of North Carolina. That should be written into the US Constitution. I'd rather it be played in Cheyenne, Wyoming, than in Greensboro.

5. da el g

da el g Member

if you don't say GSO you do not have a clue about college basketball or the ACC (or you are simply a fanboy), Greensboro is NOT the home court for any team, tickets are divided evenly among the schools, rotate it to DC, Tampa or ATL every other year but GSO has the tradition

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

No group of sports fans piss and moans and have their noses in the air more than basketballs fans from the state of North Carolina. Bleep y'all. The sport doesn't begin and end in your sorry-assed state.

7. Flying Headbutt

Who said it was a home court? I just said it was right in the middle. And sure tickets are divided evenly, but who has an easier time going for the weekend, some fan from Tallahassee or Boston, or someone who lives a half hour away? Who do you think buys up the tickets on the street when someone's team is out after the first day? Most of the time they sure don't stick around to watch other teams play. They try and profit off a Carolina-native's interest in their team.

Look, I understand the tradition. I was raised on ACC Tourneys, and as far as I'm concerned they're as important as the Final Four. Did I go a little overboard? Yeah, but I didn't expect it to be taken seriously either.

It does need rotated though.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I'd love to be able to roll out of bed and see the tourney at the FleetCenter. Doesn't mean it'd be any less parallel universe-like, though.

9. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Statistics refute your contention. North Carolina teams have won the ACC Tournament six of the eight years that it was held outside of North Carolina. Heck, when it was last in D.C., Maryland (who, under your theory should have a huge advantage) lost in the first round.

Greensboro makes sense because the city embraces the tournament. It gets lost in Washington and will likely get as much attention as the PGA stop that week in Tampa. I'm not against playing the event in other places, but Greensboro does the best job.

10. Flying Headbutt

Most of those years, North Carolina teams composed half of the conference. That makes it easy for them to win it outside of the state. And I'm not saying they won it only because it was played in North Carolina either. But to say DC didn't embrace the tournament that year is bogus. It was the talk of the town for at least a year prior. I know Greensboro has the tradition and everything, but if you don't believe it comes with a built-in advantage as well, you're mistaken. Of course it should be played there every other year. And every other year it should go outside the state.

Again, where it's played doesn't decide who wins it. But it sure helps, John Gilchrest's sorry ass not withstanding.

11. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

You're obviously aware that the only time Maryland has won the ACC Tournament since 1958 (in 2004) it was in ... Greensboro!

12. da el g

da el g Member

yes it does

Draft saved Draft deleted