1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

KC Star offering sports-only digital subscription

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Big Circus, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Per their sports editor. (He hedges a little, but I can’t imagine he’d put this out there if it wasn’t happening.)

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

When I moved away, more than a decade ago, this would have been a no-brianer subscription for me. Now I'm already subscribed to The Athletic for Royals and, to a lesser degree, Chiefs stuff. I get KU and colleges from a variety of places.

I might still sign up, but once again newspapers are playing catch up.

3. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

In markets where all the main sportswriters are at one shop, this would be a great idea and popular with a lot of sports fans, I think. Problem is, most markets are sectioned off. Get NFL coverage from one paper and NBA coverage from another, etc. So if you would only read for one team's coverage, would it be worth it?

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Is it better than the Athletic? That’s the question.

I’m guessing it’s close

5. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Let me ask you, what prevented you from subscribing to the Star for your KC sports before the Athletic came along?

I have multiple digital newspaper subscriptions, and the most expensive is $10 a month, and I get a hell of a lot more than just sports coverage. What kind of deal are you getting from the Athletic that made you pull the trigger for just the Royals and Chiefs coverage?

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The Miami Herald (same company) announced this would be happening there last week. I’d expect the other McClatchy shops to have similar offerings.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Part of it was that the Star was free for years amd years. Then it started limiting how many free stories you get per month. I don't live there and the Royals coverage was the only thing I really wanted and wasn't able to get elsewhere.

Then The Athletic hired away Rustin Dodd and launched college football and basketball platforms, which was enough for me to pull the trigger.

8. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

The price for the McClatchy sports-only plan is pretty appealing. I'm wondering why this hasn't been done more commonly ...

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

. . . and 10 years ago. Sigh.

Doc Holliday and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Well at least he got the order correct.

M-I-Z...

Donny in his element likes this.
  11. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Understandable. It just seems that you would've received Star coverage of essentially the same teams for a similar price that you're getting from the Athletic. And the Star staff is excellent. But if you are looking for a different kind of coverage, then subscribing to the Athletic makes some sense.

12. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

The Athletic’s KU football coverage is going to be amazing.

On a serious note, good for the Star. Gotta do something rather and sit around and wait for the paper to die. They have good writers on staff. There’s no reason they can’t do what The Athletic does, or better.

Draft saved Draft deleted