1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kathleen Parker Leaving CNN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Deeper_Background, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Word.

A wise TV exec once said you have to have 'it' to host a show. 'It' is defined as warm authority tempered by wit.

No amount of coaching, it seems, was going to get Kathleeen Parker to break her lock with prompter. She would not look at Spitzer when he spoke.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

How do you go from the Cowell figure in America's Got Talent to that gig?

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Spitzer's show cancelled:

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

A grateful nation sighs with relief.

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

So what will CNN do with the International Superstar?

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Man - everyone was saying King's show was on the block...

Cooper might work at 8 p.m., but doing another show (or repeating it) at 10?
    And moving Burnett into the evenings is weird. Seems like you'd want that show to bridge the closing on Wall Street and have it segue into the rest of the line-up (though I realize Burnett's show isn't going to be a strict business show).

7. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

They repeat AC back-to-back 99% of the time now. Almost anything that splits that up is an improvement.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Spritzer hanging on by a garter thread...

http://www.deadline.com/2011/07/eliot-spitzers-out-as-cnn-revamps-its-prime-time-shows/

I can't wait for Erin's show. Yummy.

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Erin Burnett seems great... she seems to know her shit.

But can somebody tell me how she's different than the parade of 500 other attractive female 'rising stars' CNN has paid top dollar to save its primetime?

Including Campbell Brown and going all the way back to Willow Bay?

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The problem is CNN has no strategy. Its dayparts are so different. There is some need for that, but it also creates an identity crisis.

Larry King never seemed to fit in with anything else CNN was doing, but he did know how to handle breaking news and get out of the way when it was necessary.

Piers Morgan's show needs to be killed off. Now. I'm surprised it's lasted this long.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

CNN needs to go completely away from the other cable news networks prime time concept and present news programs, with reporting and stuff. The hyperpoliticized cable news prime time audience is gonna split MSNBC or Fox come what may. CNN must attract new viewers with a new concept or it'll always be number three.
    Since my plan involves more upfront expense, it'll never be tried. Just haul out another news babe. If Burnett fails, maybe Casey Anthony has a new job.

12. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Nothing makes me lunge for the remote faster than the Piers Morgan Show.

Draft saved Draft deleted