1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kareem wants a statue ...NOW!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NickMordo, May 18, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've been stunned at the number of times I've seen "All NBA all-time teams" and Abdul-Jabbar is third team.

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think it's because Abdul-Jabbar is seen as more of an accumulator vs. a high-peak guy. To fans of the classic game, they're probably going to rate Russell and Chamberlain ahead of him, whereas younger fans might put Shaq or Tim Duncan ahead of him. Simmons has Kareem at #3 all-time, any position, behind Russell and Jordan, and ahead of Magic and Bird.

To me, center is the toughest position to sort all-time greats at. Tons of candidates, whether you favor overall championships won, individual dominance, freak athleticism, etc.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Kareem was an accumulator?

He led the league in scoring twice. In 72, he averaged 35 points a game. He averaged 23.4 points a game as a 38-year old. He led the league in various years in blocks, rebounds, field goal percentage. His career shooting percentage is .559. He averaged 24.6 points a game for his career!

And he was 'an accumulator'?

Holy christ, this board absolutely amazes me sometimes.

4. Mizzougrad96

It's really hard to go wrong with Russell, Chamberlain and Abdul-Jabbar in any order.

About 12 ears ago, I interviewed several longtime NBA writers who had covered Russell, Chamberlain and Jordan (although a couple had been retired or deskers for some of Jordan's career) about who the best ever was. Of the 15 I talked to, nine said Russell, five said Jordan and one said Wilt.

5. Mizzougrad96

I don't think that's what he meant. I think Kareem was hurt by playing too long. He needed the money and admittedly played 3-4 years longer than he wanted to.

6. poindexter

The Lakers played in the NBA finals 7 of the last 8 years of his career, with Kareem an integral part of every team.

Accumulator is asinine.

7. Mizzougrad96

Your point is a fair one. I'm not sure he was integral to anything in 1988-89, but who is at 42?

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Why do I think if you put Russell third on that list he'd hunt you down and beat you?

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

That's where I'd put him. Wilt first, than Kareem.

Jabbar definitely warrants a statue.

And I was surprised to see he was in Milwaukee for 6 years. I thought it was a much shorter stint than that.

10. Mizzougrad96

I generally try to stay out of arguments involving players who retired before I started watching sports. I'll argue Montana vs. Marino, but not Montana vs. Baugh.

11. poindexter

You know how Jordan is regarded as the best player ever?

Back in the 70's, when I was a kid, all i would hear on tv is that Kareem was the greatest NBA player ever. His numbers can at least make the case.

Its odd how far he's fallen off the radar since being the greatest ever while playing.

12. Mizzougrad96

So much of that is perception. I used to go see the Lakers play just about every time they came to Oakland and it was such a treat to watch Kareem and Magic play. I always hated the Lakers, but I appreciated how great they were.

Jordan is the best I've ever seen. I've heard some say Olajuwon was a more complete player and that Shaq was more dominant, but I can honestly say I've never seen a better center and I missed what is probably regarded as Abdul-Jabbar's prime.

Draft saved Draft deleted