1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Karch Kiraly retiring from volleyball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I got interested in volleyball by watching him and Sinjin Smith in the 80s. Can't believe he's 46 now...

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/sports/abox/article_1617633.php

2. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

The greatest volleyball player ever, indoors AND the beach. I'm just glad he's getting a proper farewell tour - he had knee surgery and played little last year, and was waiting to see how it responded before he made any retirement plans.
    The fact that this will be his 32nd year on the pro beach tour (the first pro event was played in '76, his rookie year at age 15) is simply mind-boggling. His 148 beach wins are up there in the probably never-to-be-broken class with Richard Petty's 200 NASCAR championship wins. And Karch really didn't start playing the beach full-time until he hooked up with Kent Steffes in '92 - if he hadn't spent all those years on Team USA and playing in the Italian league, he'd have had a decent shot at 200.
    Plus, he provided the greatest moment in Rhode Island pro beach volleyball history: the double final at Newport in '89. After a lame call cost him the sudden death game to 7 against the legendary team of Sinjin Smith and Randy Stoklos, Karch just ripped down the net, sending the up official leaping out of his perch before it tumbled to the sand. It was great to see ol' Pinky Hat (for the trademark pink Speedo cap he usually wears on the beach) prove human.
    NBC once put up a graphic with all the misspellings of his name on his mail. My fave: Crotch Kirby.

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I remember having great fun with his Nintendo video game.

[​IMG]

4. audreyld

audreyld Guest

That game was a HUGE favorite around our house when I was a wee shooter.

5. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

It's available here: http://www.virtualnes.com/

6. John

John Well-Known Member

Bless you for that.

7. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Enjoy. I've spent more hours on there than I've spent sleeping some nights.

8. the fop

the fop Member

He's no Monroe Clark.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Good grief, I had no idea he'd been playing that long, although admittedly, he is the first name you think of when you think pro volleyball.

Other than Misty May and Kerri Walsh, that is. ;)

10. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I may never get my grading done, now. Great.

11. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

Last time I heard this man's name had to be 1992.

12. John

John Well-Known Member

Was he in Side Out?

Draft saved Draft deleted