1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kansas Religious School Bars Female Referee

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GB-Hack, Feb 13, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nope, took his meds and smooth talked her.. soon as the ring was on the finger, he didnt have a wife, but a servant. And she was so happy to be married, she didn't give a shit.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

He tries drawing my brothers into the religious argument, but they don't bite, because they don't give a shit.

For some reason, tho, he doesnt call me to get into the same discussion.

He actually sent my one brother the same info in that link in an email... I posted here a while ago but cant find it...

3. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Is your brother-in-law the one that runs the "successful commerce business"? Because that sounds like translated Japanese.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yes. His successful commerce business is baseball cards. He actually makes some decent coin, but he's also traveled to hide from the Vatican. They're looking for him, you know.
    And he also doesn't ostracize his parents the way he does mine. Guess which family provides the bankroll for the bidness...

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Actually, yes. Let them see the reality of the belief system their parents have shoved down their throats. They're high schoolers. In a few years, hopefully, they'll get to make their own choices about what they do and don't believe. Maybe this'll contribute to their believing in something that doesn't view women as the handservants of men.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Check out this reader's comment on the Capital Journal's piece on the issue:

"It's pretty simple to understand why St. Mary's Academy would not allow a woman referee. It was a boy's game and the boys are taught to be gentlemen around ladies/woman. A basketball game is not the best place to treat a woman( the referee standing in the thicke of it all) the way they are expected to treat her. The other thing that should be mentioned is that the school hosting the game has to pay for the referee. Should they not be allowed a preference? I think they should. We as a society are taught to tolerate other people's views, shouldn't this be a practice in tolerance? This has nothing to do with the Bible and woman being inferior in some way. The Academy at St. Marys is a great school that cares about their children and they should be commended. As a product of public school it is not anything compared to the Academy or any other private school for that matter. "

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Pretty stout argument against reader comments, right there.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Please. The more people see this story and the this comment, the more people will feel good about how smart they are.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Wow. Just wow.

My mother officiated basketball and soccer for 20 years. I don't know if I could hold back if I ever found out that she was banned from officiating games at a particular place because of vats of crap like this.

If I were SE, bet everything you have that I would pull coverage ... after I wrote a nice, long piece on their chauvinistic idiocy.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Well, the town's name is St. Mary's.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and there is no doubt these folks are fans of the blue bird.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

KU is the more liberal school, so they might be K-State fans, who are more conservative in nature.

Draft saved Draft deleted