1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kansas Probation Decisions Coming Down at 3PM

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

rumours saying 'prepare for the worst' coming from Indy...possible 1year ban in Basketball and football for loss of instuitional control

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Paging Oz.

Oz, please pick up the yellow courtesy phone.

3. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Fuck KU. :)

4. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Fixed.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I think he's busy answering the white porcelain phone.

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I don't claim to have any inside source, but 810 radio in KC said their sources say no TV/postseason ban. Having said that, there could still be some stiff (prepare for the worst) penalties, incluing schollies revoked, forfeits and having to pay back money gained from postseason appearances.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Actually, deep_douchebag is referring to the post-Larry Brown probation decision here.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I'm on the line now.

I've been wondering about this for months now. Supposedly all the men's basketball violations came between 1997-2003 -- in other words, when Roy was in charge, trying to lose the penchant for early exits.

Yes, KU has this pristine imagine, but I've known for years KU has cut corners like anyone else. Raef LaFrentz was in the Greek and Roman Mythology class I took the spring semester of my senior season (his too). One time, he took a scantron form we had for the test, filled in his student ID number, handed it to the guy sitting to his right, then walked out of the class of 500 or so. I sat maybe 10 rows behind him that day. I got a B on that test. I'm sure he did better than me.

And I tried to nail Roy for shady practices, at the very least, when I was there. Student newspaper didn't feel like it was worth reporting that Lester Earl drove a new $36,000 SUV that I traced back to a part-time firefighter making less than $10,000 who drove 1984 Ford pickup truck, claiming he let Earl drive it that semester because he got good grades. There was talk of at least leading a notes package with that -- I had the guy who owned the SUV on the record, talking about that arrangement -- but my peers didn't want to fear pissing off the program, so the story never ran. One year later, when KU was scheduled to play at New Orleans in the NCAA Tournament, Whitlock ran a full column on that. Glad the University Daily Kansan didn't feel a need to run a story that the KC Star felt merited the attention.

That said, with Roy gone, I'm not sure KU would receive a postseason ban. I'll be curious, that's for sure.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

ACTUALLY, he's reporting that Phog Allen will be reprimanded for using non-standard issue peach baskets.

10. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Roy says he doesn't give a shit about Kansas.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

As long as this ends with Roy's rep getting soiled I'll be a happy camper.

And MM, that's some funny stuff. :D

12. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Football - No postseason ban. No TV ban. Lost 3 schollies per year for the next 2 years.

Hoops - Lost 1 schollie per year for the next 2 years. Reduced paid visits by 8.

Women's hoops - Nothing.

Draft saved Draft deleted