1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kansas lawmaker's son killed on world's largest water slide

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

That group might not have met the weight limit. The height limit who knows, but my 8-year-old passes it. The only thing with the age is you know the height and weight likely aren't going to be an issue. Maturity might not matter if it goes off track.

It's interesting because this gets the news it does especially because it was a kid. But you get three small adults together and the same thing could happen. They were playing with fire.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I hope to God he didn't have time to understand what was happening and that it was instantaneous. I don't know if people even have a moment of consciousness afterward. Hopefully not. Sorry to be ghoulish.

3. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

One of the Nat Geo channels did a show where they follow around the planning and construction of "extreme" water parks, and it was with the designer of these rides - there are several across the country, I believe, and they showed him testing the getting one in Texas (San Antonio?) done.

It was the exact same ride as this one, and it took them the longest time to get it right, because the raft and mannequins they put on it kept flying off the slide.

That guy is a fucking idiot. All he would talk about was making the rides more and more "extreme," taller and faster.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So not a win for smaller government and less bureaucracy?

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

From what I've seen online, they weigh the group collectively before it gets in the raft, but not individuals. A too small person could theoretically slip under the restraints. And while there used to be a minimum age, that was done away with and just the height/weight requirement remained.

6. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

You could argue industries like that largely self-regulate, because fatal incidents can lead to customers not going any more. Not staying which way is better. Regulation only covers so much, yet people still die, get injured, or get sick.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Great America in the Bay Area had a bad stretch about 15 years ago -- I want to say three deaths in two years or something. The reporting revealed that permanent amusement parks have much lower (i.e. basically zero) safety standards from the state, while the traveling carnivals are regulated much more heavily. I've always felt safer on the carnival rides since then.

Also I remember a new overtime bill in Missouri in the '90s that specifically exempted amusement parks from the 40-hour rule.

There is a powerful lobby in that industry.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Because if something bad happens, somebody in government could have prevented it.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Rand Paul could argue that.

10. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

The ride has been plagued by issues. Where was government? There was some law or rule that could have shut it down.

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I won't ride those traveling carnival rides that typically show up at state and county fairs. They might be more heavily regulated, but the whole unbolting, moving, then bolting it all back together process, possibly done by some slack jaw numbnut, unnerves me.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I'd be more secure knowing the bolts were just done that afternoon, rather than the permanent ones, where the bolt was set three years ago and hasn't been checked since.

Draft saved Draft deleted