1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kansas City Star's bizarre approach to a staff reduction

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PaperClip529, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I believe one of the KC Star editors, Fannin (sp?) was once sports editor so maybe he reads this board. If so, I'd like to calmly say that your newspaper has committed the most barbaric act in the history of journalism. Whomever made this business decision has made a sub-human decision. This type of decision makes me realize that only an idiot remains employed by a newspaper. If some other company did this and the Star found out about it, there would be a huge expose article. Congratulations on the worst business decision ever made.

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

That would be about the same thing. What a disgusting, chickenshit move by management.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If you're the rest of the Star staff, if nothing else, put together a letter of no-confidence in these managers and forward it to Romanesko and the company higher-ups.

4. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

How do the managers sleep at night? Oh, I guess because they have so much good company at newspapers around the country to pat them on the back for a job well done.

Disgusting.

5. Baron Scicluna

Bumping this back up:

It happened a few weeks ago, but the "survivor" of the KC Star's idiot management decision ... is now laid off herself.

http://jimromenesko.com/2013/10/22/kansas-city-star-reporter-lays-off-investigative-reporter-karen-dillon/

6. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Can you just imagine these KC Star bigwigs negotiating a hostage situation?

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Good grief.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

"We're going to kill one hostage an hour until we get what we want."

"How about one every ninety-minutes?"

9. Baron Scicluna

"We will kill a hostage every hour until you meet our demands."

"Here, we've met your demands. Now please let your hostages go."

BANG!