1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kansas AD meets with football team about Mark Mangino

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by kingcreole, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

[​IMG]

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

See this is the kind of crap that is ridiculous -- and to me not coincidentally being alleged during a five-game losing streak. This to me is chickenshit and the whole "parents are saying he's being meanie to their kids" crap is more of a sign that the wussification of America is near complete.

My God - and the fact that the pinheads who run the place are choosing to go this cowardly route to try and fire the guy instead of being straight and saying - he's not getting the job done (which, he clearly is not) -- is a joke.

Here is the story about why Mangini is in hot water....

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4664164

3. http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/1577294.html

It’s the weight. That’s why Mark Mangino’s job is in jeopardy.

4. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Whoopee! More controversy in Lawrence!! Awesome.

I'm not sure why him getting in players' faces is a shock. Go to youtube, and I bet you'll find a video from 2007 where he's grabbing a player's facemask and screaming after the dude got a 15-yard penalty for flipping into the end zone after a punt return.

The current 5-game skid shouldn't play into it, but considering how this was supposed to be THE year for KU, I'm sure it stings more. Not to mention the wonderful story of the football and basketball teams waging civil war across campus.

If it's this bad now, the shit will certainly hit the fan next year, when the architects of KU's offensive rennasaince (which are basically responsible for the last two years) are gone.

Don't know what'll happen. But as long as it drawn out and controversial, I could care less.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Putting aside the, um, interesting aspect of which columnist is getting on Mangino about his weight, I don't think the point is valid. I don't think being fat makes you more likely to be angry, just as it's not likely to make you jolly. Something tells me he'd still get on people at 200 pounds less.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

DD68 - It is not a shock but when shit like this happens during a long losing streak, it gets blown way out of proportion.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

What an odd column by Whitlock. There are countless underachieving coaches that run marathons, what's their excuse? Mangino won when he was fat, and now he's losing because he's fat?

Took a look at Kansas football's coaching history. Mangino is second in career wins at the school, tied with Glen Mason right now at 47, number 1 is A.R. Kennedy with 52 who coached from 1904-1910. Mangino is the first coach in 40 years at the school to have a career record at the school over .500.
    And people wondered why Glen Mason bailed on Kansas for Minnesota.
    You look at KU's sorry history and it makes what Mangino has done there even more remarkable. Hell, I'd give him another year if he still wants it.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

In his pot/kettle column, Whitlock says Mangino weighs between 450 and 500. Is that accurate?

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Actually, Mason first accepted the job at Georgia following a 10-2 season and a No. 7 final AP ranking in 1995. He was the Bulldogs' coach for one week. Then he had a change of heart and returned to Kansas, where he was essentially a lame-duck coach in 1996 before leaving for Minnesota. Mason's gripe was that even during that top-10 season, the fans were still waiting for it to become basketball season; he was never convinced it could be a football school, which is why he should have stayed with Uga when he got the chance.

Not one bit. I mean, if KU warmed to Mangino, who came from the Bill Snyder family tree at K-State before following Stoops to Oklahoma, there should be no problem with Patterson. And his western Kansas roots would help pry kids from that area -- typically linemen -- who have been going to K-State for years. The other thing to really like about Patterson is that he typically lands leftovers in Big 12 country from Texas, Oklahoma, etc., and has built a consistent program. Just recruit similar kids to a program like KU and he would have success, no doubt.

That said, I'll believe Patterson goes to the Jayhawks when I see it.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

As much as I despise the "executive recruitment" firms colleges are using for coaching hires these days, if you can get a commitment from a coach you want to hire before you actually can the coach you currently have, and not have to worry about it leaking it's a good thing. Too often schools (Notre Dame) get rid of a coach thinking they can have their pick of coaches only to learn otherwise.

11. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Agreed with all of this. Patterson would have to be insane to go to KU because he's built such a successful program at TCU that competes nationally and has little to no competition in their conference. Plus, being in Texas, it's easy to recruit out of that area, especially in Dallas, than it would be if he was at KU. Since TCU has moved ahead of A&M and Tech, he's got it fairly easy - a hell of a lot easier than it would be if he was at KU.

12. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Thought Whitlock's column was very fair when it came to the weight issue. He didn't duck his own issues.

Draft saved Draft deleted