1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kansas AD meets with football team about Mark Mangino

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by kingcreole, Nov 17, 2009.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2009/nov/17/ku-ad-perkins-meets-football-players-over-concerns/

I don't think it has anything to do with Mangino cleaning out the Pizza Hut buffet on the last road trip or anything, but this does come across as very, very strange. The timing I mean. Kansas is now a sacrificial lamb at Texas this week. And with Missouri still on the schedule, i can't help but think something serious is going on with Mangino. I've heard a story that says Lew Perkins has gone through Mangino's contract with a fine-toothed comb, looking for a reason to fire him withouth paying the rest of his contract.

It should be noted that Lew Perkins did not hire Mark Mangino, and supposedly the two have never had a good relationship.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I would guess they are looking for some player mistreatment by Mangino which would give them their possible quick out of his contract.

I'm pretty sure in the past, this has been a problem for him dating back to his Western Pennsylvania days.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Sounds very much like the skids are being greased.

4. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Can the chickenhawks do better any better than they have w/ Mangino? I mean, Bear Bryant ain't walking through that door. Nor is Woody Widenhoffer (unless, of course, he decides to dump his Birmingham Blackbirds UNGL team!)

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That one is an all-time classic.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I had the under on that being posted. I lost. :D

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Bear Bryant isn't walking through that door, but if KU can land someone like Cincy did when it got Brian Kelly, that seems like a fairly reasonable outcome.

I know someone who used to work in the KU administration. He worked hand-in-hand with Mangino, but eventually left Lawrence because he couldn't tolerate working with such a miserable man. He treats people around him, people paid to vouch for him, like crap, which is a 180 from what I've heard about Bill Self. Combine that with the football/basketball fights fiasco, and this doesn't surprise me.

Besides, that glorious 2007 season aside, Mangino's basically a .500 coach. Perkins isn't one to settle for .500 seasons.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

May Zag can come around and apply his Cutler/Vandy Theorem of Football to Mangino & KU.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Don't know if this means anything, but the ad on the bottom of the page as I type is for Kansas State stuff. (Guess the targeted ad service misread the topic of the thread and confused the two.)

11. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Lew Perkins is a smart man, and this will be his first big hire (he did not hire Mangino or Self). I would guess Perkins would try to throw a whole lotta $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ at Gary Patterson.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

By mistreatment, you mean he ate one of the players, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted