1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kafka Goes to Alabama

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jgmacg, Sep 11, 2007.

1. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I stay away from the political threads, but how anyone can defend the Starr investigation is mind-boggling.

2. If I were really an unkind fellow, I would have posted this link:
    http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C06E4DF143EF931A25756C0A9609C8B63&n=Top%2fReference%2fTimes%20Topics%2fPeople%2fR%2fRay%2c%20Robert%20W%2e

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

No Olympian detachment intended. I wasn't trying to obscure what a scumbag Karl Rove is, or excuse the crappy things (most of which we probably don't know) he has partaken in. You expanded and drew me into an argument I hadn't intended to be in, when I had only one point... 1) Democrats in Congress can not investigate this stuff without coming off as jackals and opportunists. And 2) Even if there was an independent investigator, such an investigator stands no chance against a well-oiled executive branch machine. Of course, Bush can't even take that Clinton tactic of getting his justice department to appoint an independent investigator to play keystone cops with the executive branch, and ultimately get swatted aside so Bush and his thugs can claim innocence, because Clinton's White House made such a farce of the process that we are not likely to see another anytime soon. No one has the political stomach to watch a White House kick the crap out of one these guys again.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Thanks for not offering any kind of response.

If Ken Starr was just a guy doing a job, what was said job?

5. That is just about as ahistorical a reading of the 1990's as you're likely to see without mushrooms. That the IC law ended in a bipartisan fashion had more to do with how Starr ran his office than it did anything else. (In one of his rare principled public moments, Scalia pointed out that he'd been warning about the potential for abuse in that law for 20 years). And, again, I ask, do you seriously want to compare the level of cooperation of the Clinton Administration with the various people investigating what was a transparently fake scandal around the Whitewater property -- Don't even try. Fisk, Starr, Pillsbury Madison and Sutro all disagree with you, and even Ray has to resort to weasel words -- with an administration that simply refuses to honor congressional subpoenas?

6. The Big Ragu

FB, When it's your guys, the scandals are "fake" and the misconduct is no big deal. When it is the other guys, the scandals are beyond criminal and the misconduct is Satanic. Maybe you get amens when you preach to the choir, but not everyone is clouded by partisanship.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I know people who were touched by the Whitewater "scandal" and they'd like to punch Ragu in the mouth. And be careful of Susan Mc ... she's likely to aim for your junk.
    What an odd retelling of history. Kenneth Starr as the good cop. And this from one of the board's better posters, who is sinking to Yawn-like depths.
    You must really hate Hillary.

8. The Big Ragu

Jay, If you choose to read a word I wrote and compare me to Yawn, that's your prerogative. But I'd actually rather my posts just speak for themselves than have someone like you try to characterize them. Yeah, I hate Mrs. Clinton. She's corrupt. The same way I hate Dick Cheney or any other politician who skirts the law and uses dirty tricks for political reasons or personal gain. But feel free to lump me in with Yawn or any other poster you don't like. I'll save the actual intelligent debate for Fenian, who disagrees with me frequently, but at least shows me respect.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I've offered you before and I'll offer again a copy of Gene Lyons's Fools for Scandal.
    I'll even try to get you a signed copy.
    Why you choose to willfully ignore what really happened with Whitewater is odd, but it fits with a certain view that an Arkansan hayseed couldn't have become president without being Nixon-like and that his wife, who came from better stock, must have surely been wallowing around the dirt with him.
    Most of the time you're a good cat, but mention Hillary or Whitewater and it pushes a button.
    But no worries from me, I'll go back to the dumb kids club, never mind that I have close relationships with some who were entangled in Whitewater and saw first-hand the abuses.
    Anyone who tries to characterize Kenneth Star as the good guy in that mess, I just don't know.

10. The Big Ragu

This is why I won't engage you. You frame an extreme argument and then you attribute to to me--without any mention of what I actually have posted or what I might actually believe. If you took any time to know me or what I believe, you'd realize that I believe Bill Clinton was the brightest president in my lifetime. I also believe he has the moral compass of a hyena. He will do whatever is expedient to get what he wants (scrupulous or not) and he has always been smart enough to surround himself with some pretty crafty people who are great at covering his tracks. And when that doesn't work, well, Clinton has more ability to charm the pants off people than any other human alive. That is not the make-up of a hayseed. It's actually someone extraordinary (although not someone I choose to look up to for the ways he uses his genius).

I am not alone in believing those things about him, and I am certainly not alone in believe what I do about his wife, who has none of his charm and wit and has been so hamhanded in her copious wrongdoings that she has left a track record of slimy deals, fundraising improprieties, buying votes (she bought a whole town of Hassidic Jews--a group that opposed her statewide), obstructing justice... and has always left it for her team of operatives to obscure it all and take the focus off her with more dirty tricks. The woman is corrupt to the core. And I am not the first person to notice it. You can believe what you want. At least I won't mischaracterize you or imply that you are all alone in your love for her.

11. OK, you're an idiot. I thought you were just some tiresome "they're all corrupt" hack who mistakes cynicism for wisdom and is content to let the country slide into the ditch on automatic pilot. I was wrong.
    I don't say all the scandals are "fake." Certainly, the Lewinsky scandal wasn't fake. (None of the offenses rose to the level of being impeachable, IMHO, but that's a different argument.) But "Who killed Vince Foster?" -- which was investigated by three congressional committees and two special proseuctors -- was a fake. As far as crimes by the Clintons are concerned, the Whitewater scandal was a fake, as two special prosecutors and the Pillsbury Report concluded, and as Ken Starr's office itself argued in the federal trial of Jim McDougal, in which the OIC representative told the jury that the Clintons had been the victims of Crazee Jim's schemes, and not his co-conspirators. The Filegate was a fake, as was concluded by three special prosecutors, including Ray, who couldn't even find weasel words for that sack of air. TravelGate was a fake, as far as actual criminal actions by the Clintons, as was concluded by Ken Starr. I didn't make this stuff up. That's the historical record. If you want to hang your hat on "insufficient evidence to prove beyond a reasonable doubt" -- which, come to think of it, is the literal definition of legal innocence -- weaselness from a politically ambitious stalker-prosecutor, have at it. As I said earlier, Lawrence Walsh had most of the same complaints in re: Iran-Contra, but he at least brought indictments.
    And more to the point, the Clintons and their people cooperated to the tune of a couple of million dollars worth of legal bills -- Ray argues that having a lawyer is proof of a coverup. Nice. -- and thousands of pages of documents. The Bush White House IGNORES CONGRESSIONAL SUBPOENAS ENTIRELY. There's a seriously compelling difference that pulling the word "partisan" out of your bag of magic beans doesn't elide from the record.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Moving back on topic, would anyone like to directly proclaim that Don Siegelman is not a crook? Because I sure could use a laugh this week.

Draft saved Draft deleted