1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

K-State fans unhappy about their new beat writer for Wichita Eagle/KC Star

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GuessWho, Aug 29, 2009.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

The editor did not need to justify the hire, not in any way, shape or form.

2. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

That may be true, and in all likelihood will probably be the case.

But the SE really erred here. That story was not necessary at all.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

As Pete Franklin used to say all the time, fan is short for fanatic. Somehow they transfer their beliefs on to the reporter. Just one example: Back in 1993 when the Giants hired Dusty Baker as manger, some fans complained because he played a lot of his career with the Dodgers.

4. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

That is weird. They should have complained because he's a terrible, terrible, terrible manager.

[/Reds fan]

5. joe king

joe king Active Member

As I noted on the other thread, the difference between this and the usual ignorant fan ranting is that there is something tangible the fans can point to here. It's not just that he was involved with Kansas or went to school there, it's that after he left, during the time he was employed as a professional journalist, he was writing for public consumption these rah-rah fan-style go-KU posts that at times were quite dismissive/insulting in tone toward the program he is now supposed to objectively cover.

I can honestly say that if I was a fan of Kansas State -- and I am not -- I would probably be more than a little ticked by this.

6. Sneed

Sneed Guest

People everywhere are psychotic about stuff. I'm getting chewed out on my blog for cussing. I was called by a 70-year-old woman who didn't like where I focused my angle in a recent article. Then I was called by the same 70-year-old woman again wanting me to get a different story--about her--in the paper to make up for it. Then called again, by same woman.

I've given up trying to figure out people who overreact to stuff. Phone calls, blog comments, message board posters, whoever it is, I will never understand it. And I've been that guy who overreacts. I've also been, about thirty seconds later, the guy who feels like a major douche for such an overreaction.

So the point is, all you K-State folks, and people everywhere--chhhiiiillllll......

Draft saved Draft deleted