1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Juvenile Nation

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by printdust, Dec 13, 2007.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

That show, which I watched on spotted occasions, is a load of crap.

Are we to believe that 13 and 14-year-old kids didn't do what most kids do at summer camp - hit on each other? There was NO hint of this in the shows. None. And with few exceptions, everything seemed orderly. Bullshit. Leave any 9-year-old alone for 40 days and see how stark raving mad they become. That place had to be a police state to maintain order. Had to be. Only when they had no rules and people tore the shit out of everything did things seem like any day at an elementary school.

You could also tell which parents were among those who came back with lawsuits over alleged poor treatment.

Thoughts from those who watched this?

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I watched the first one just to check it out, stuck with it and enjoyed it far more than I ever would have expected.

Obviously it was heavily edited (including to remove any preteen romance angles -- no way that would have gone over with the public), and there were adults everywhere, all the time. For one thing, I hope to god they let the kids "wash" the dishes in room-temperature, filthy water, then came in at night and ran them through dishwashers.

But I think they key is that they selected really exceptional kids. Someone did a great job there. If you listened to the vocabulary, the way they spoke, these weren't regular children. They were super freakin' smart kids with good heads on their shoulders. (My wife and I decided we would like to just skip natural childbirth and adopt Laurel, curly-headed Michael and Mallory.)

Overall, the show restored a little of my faith in humanity -- not because of the scenarios the producers concocted, just watching the kids and the ways they acted. I don't spend a lot of time around kids, so it was nice to see there are kids like that out there.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

On the whole, I don't mind the fake reality as much since kids were involved. I was hoping Sheriff Sophia was going to go CSI to find the perp who torched the job board and seen the kids cheer her on as a producer (I'm certain) got lynched. Enjoyed the looting of the dry goods store, but it would have been more fun seeing how sick the kids got from all that candy. All in all, I enjoyed it but figure if they do it again the kids will all be punks to try and get as much face time as possible.
    Also enjoyed Jared showing his dad how to drink a boilermaker. Great stuff. I'm sure dad was proud.

4. printdust

printdust New Member

Yeah, there were some good kids on there. I just can't see how they avoided the chaos that is kids. I've run camps. There's no way that bunch stayed civil for 40 days. There had to be fistfights worse than the two girls last night...which wasn't really a fistfight but a slam at the overweight girl, which was sad. I just thought the day of no control was more like what it was say 13 hours a day.

5. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

I watched a few episodes and was pleasantly surprised by the candor and the intelligence of a lot of the kids, like Sophia and Zack. However, I'm half-expecting to see Taylor in rehab before she's 18 ... unless she sees how awful she behaved when she watched the show.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Is this the same show as "Kid Nation" that airs Wednesdays on CBS?

7. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Yeah, I'd love to slap Taylor's parents around. No way a kid gets values like that (ugly chickens deserve to die?) without some messed up role models.

And yeah, F_B. The OP was being clever.

8. KG

KG Active Member

If this were real, it would turn out more like Lord of the Flies.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Didn't watch it but perhaps the pheromones weren't flying because none of the lasses wore panties with suggestive sayings on them.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Bingo.

My kid, who's seven, loved it but I thought it was shit, from the awful host (whoever the fuck he is) to the whiny, annoying kids (especially Mike from Washington, Jared from Georgia and Alex from Nevada - use that money from the gold star to get your fucking teeth fixed).

11. dog428

dog428 Active Member

If I'm not mistaken, Alex with the crooked teeth was eight. EIGHT, dickhead.

The fact that you're making dumbass comments like that and raising a child is a bit troublesome. I mean, good Christ, I'm not an overly sensitive guy, but knocking some eight-year-old for crooked teeth is a good indication of either another eight-year-old or an adult with an eight-year-old's brain.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Lighten the fuck up. That huge tooth that seemed to tale over his face creeped the hell out of me.

Draft saved Draft deleted