1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Justin Morneau is the AL MVP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Nov 21, 2006.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I am not saying Hafner should be MVP.

I am saying his numbers are better than Morneau as it is, and if he weren't injured for the final month he would have blown Morneau out of the water, making the selection look ever stupider than it already does.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

So if this is a stupid selection, TSP, who should it have been?

3. Morneau may be the MVP but he's a "soft" MVP

And he's got a lot of catching up to do if he wants to be the next Matt Stairs.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Hafner's numbers were just as good. Might as well be him. He did better in less ABs.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It's a Canadian conspiracy. Much like Steve Nash.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

That was not me. Quit being a jerk.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

And yet his team still finished fourth, six games under .500 -- the same position and number of games under .500 as on the day he got hurt. Just how valuable was he, anyway?

8. This argument is like saying if Morneau were on the Indians in place of Hafner, they would've won 15 more games, and that would've never happened. It's not basketball.

Hafner would've been more valuable on a team that could hold leads, as would any offensive player. If Morneau needs Glen Perkins and Pat Neshek to bolster his case, I wouldn't say he has much of a case.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Addendum to the Jeter vote:
    NY voters were split, 1 for Jeter,1 for Morneau

10. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

It seems like in the post-steroids era if a guy doesn't put up stupid numbers he's a "soft" MVP, unless he's in NY, then he has "great intangibles." Morneau was the most dangerous bat in the Twins lineup when it mattered most and was a huge producer for a team that few expected to be in the playoffs when the season started. Hard to begrudge him.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

As I said before the vote, I would have gone Jeter, Dye, Morneau, but all were highly qualified, so no complaint here.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

It mattered most in June and July?

Draft saved Draft deleted