1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just when you thought Lane Kiffin couldn't piss off anyone else ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Jul 26, 2010.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I don't know if I will call him the best coach in the NFL. He is in that "B+", Marty Schottenheimer range. They usually do pretty well in the regular season but can get tight in January.

But, then again, Pete Carroll couldn't get anyone to listen to him during his NFL head coaching gigs.

I do see Fisher as that rare coach who could translate very well in both the NFL and college.

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Yeah, and then some other fool will hire Kiffin.

3. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

His 10 out of 16 non-winning seasons and no SB victories say otherwise.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Jeff Fisher is one of the 5 best coaches in the NFL. He consistently has gotten the Titans to overperform. In the NFL, you don't stay in one place that long unless you are really, really good. And Bud Adams is not the kind of owner who shows blind loyalty. He is really involved and knows how to fire a coach. Fisher's teams play with more discipline than any in the NFL, except perhaps Bill Belichick's. The difference is that Fisher has never had the level of talent Belichick has. Yet, he has had remarkable success with some just OK teams and managed to go through a rebuilding without devastating fall off. It's a credit to how good a coach he is that the Titans are always competitive, with B+/A- talent at best in his best seasons -- including 1999 when they fell 1 yard short of the Super Bowl title. I'll reiterate that if Jeff Fisher is looking for a job during the offseason, because yeah he might be gone this year, he will have his pick of open gigs. He's really well respected, no matter who you talk to.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Carroll was hardly a failure with the Patriots (not a raging success, either, of course). As even owner Bob Kraft has admitted, Carroll was victimized by a front office that made some HORRENDOUS personnel decisions during his tenure -- including bad drafts, and oh, yes, letting Curtis Martin go.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Actually, 1 yard short of sending game to OT.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Actually, the 2000 Super Bowl.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Actually, one and one-third yard short.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I always thought it'd be funny to start a fake movement of Titans Truther fans who use all kinds of photoshops and such to "prove" that he actually got into the end zone.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah that'd be hilarious, since approximately 350 million people saw Dyson flailing a yard shy of the goal line.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

In really small print underneath Kiffin's name: "We will add to none of these totals as long as he's in charge."

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That's why it is funny.

Draft saved Draft deleted