1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just when you thought Lane Kiffin couldn't piss off anyone else ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Jul 26, 2010.

1. TimmyP

TimmyP Member

I can't help but think back to the while Kiffin/Al Davis debacle and remember how everyone thought Kiffin was the sympathetic figure in all that mess. To now think that maybe Kiffin was perhaps a bigger asshole than Al Davis in that relationship? Shocking.

I can't help but think of a bigger douche in the entire sports world right now.

2. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Individuals have a right to listen to other job offers.
    Unless the contract states this was a no-no, I think the lawsuit will flutter away and there will only be hurt feelings left.
    Pola was acting on his own when he listened to USC. More power to him, I think.

3. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

And if a guy even listens to other offers this late in the preseason, do you really want him around anyway?

4. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

George Halas sued George Allen when he left his Bears assistant position, for which he was under contract, to coach the Rams, won the suit, then allowed Allen to go. To Halas, it was the principle of the thing.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The "no no" is why you have a contract in the first place. Pola can't just skip out on a contract to take a competing job, the same way if he had been fired, the Titans would still have had to pay him because the contract is an obligation on their part, too.

I'm sure USC will claim Pola acted on his own and they didn't tamper. But what that tortious interference thing frantic linked to says is that if the Titans can prove that USC actively tried to convince Pola to breach his contract, they are going to be on the losing end of a lawsuit.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I just read Peter King's MMQB and he pointed out that when Kiffin has burned every bridge there is, he's not even going to have Al Davis there to hire him.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

When Lane gets fired at USC (he will, probably sooner rather than later), he better not plan on looking for an NFL assistant coaching gig. Like, ever.

NFL people (coaches, GMs, OWNERS) look VERY dimly at college programs poaching assistant coaches without going through ALL the protocol. Of course they don't care too much about coaches moving the OTHER way (college to NFL) but they get very huffy when they get assistant coaches poached by college teams, especially a couple weeks before training camp.

They'll make sure to bring their collective bootheel down on Kiffin, HARD. That's why they're pursuing the tortious interference action.

Kiffin will never work in the NFL again, in any capacity. He better hope he wins big at USC -- and fast.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Only guy who seems to have made out good so far is Eric Bienemy of the Vikings, who turned down Kiffin and got a raise out of Minnesota.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

As each day goes by Lane Kiffin comes one step closer to becoming the living embodiment of one of my favorite West Wing lines, which was uttered by Josh in anger & frustration:

"HE'S GOT THE PR INSTINCTS OF IDI AMIN!"

10. Starman

What kind of fuckhead college football coach hasn't hired an offensive coordinator by late July? What's he been doing for the last 6 months?

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

He wasn't hiring an OC.

He was hiring a runningbacks coach to replace the guy they had to fire for his involvement in the Reggie Bush deal.

12. Starman

ah, got it, but since the outcome of the Bush investigation was quite predictable, he should have had a Plan B all ready to go.

Draft saved Draft deleted