1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just watched We Are Marshall

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fourth and 8, Oct 15, 2007.

1. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Here's where the subjective realm of judging a movie comes in.

Like most of his films — "Training Day" aside — Denzel's made a career of playing Denzel in the movies. Only one or two of his movies has really stretched him, I think.

2. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

You really have to wonder why he doesn't do more "training day" type roles. It won him an Oscar for gosh sake. I'd much rather watch a movie with Denzel as the guy you're not sure if he's good or bad until the end instead of watching him negotiate with a kidnapper or drug lord on a rooftop for the umpteenth time.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think you'll get your wish with American Gangster.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-gangster15oct15,1,1407364.story?coll=la-headlines-business

4. Friday Night Lights was crap.

Best modern sports movie is 61*, IMO.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

"Miracle" was pretty damn good. It was Disney-fied, which I hate, but they stayed true to the story (mostly because they had to -- it's so well known.)

"Glory Road," although Disney-fied, was also very good, mostly because of Josh Lucas' performance. But they took liberties with the history and that pissed me off. I know you have to have a conflict of some sort, but you don't have to insert situations that happened in 1961 and '63 into 1966 to make it a better movie. The real story was good enough on its own.

"Cinderella Man" was outstanding. A great film, and a great historical sports story. Ron Howard treated it well, and Russell Crowe was tremendous as always. Fuckabuncha Renee Zellweger; she nearly ruined it. I can't stand her anyway.

"61*" is the best of the bunch. Billy Crystal understood the material and his passion for it showed through. Jane/Pepper delivered surreal performances as Mantle/Maris.

6. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

"61*" was in the HBO rotation recently, and I've watched it three times. I hate baseball, but it was a wonderful film, very moving.

Whoever mentioned "Radio" made a good call. Very underrated movie. Proved Cuba Gooding Jr. could actually act and Ed Harris delivers as he always does.

"Titans," despite all the Disney-fied flaws, sucks me in every single time.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Slider. Didn't slide.

Buckdub, what's you got against Renee Zellwegger? I've always liked her, anorexic personal aside.

8. The Q Man

The Q Man Member

You are my hero simply for knowing that movies exists. My friends look at that DVD everytime they come over and just crack up.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've never been able to catch "Radio" from the beginning, but it always catches my attention.

I saw "61*" a few years ago and felt like I was watching everything I read unfold on the screen. It's not my favorite baseball movie, but it's up there -- definitely, in my top two true stories, though "Eight Men Out" is No. 1.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Damn straight.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

In no particular order:

Top five based (however loosely) on real events: 61*, Eight Men Out, Hoosiers, Miracle, Cinderella Man

Top five fictitious sports movies: North Dallas Forty, The Bad News Bears (the original), Rocky, Bull Durham, Breaking Away (though you can argue it's not really a sports movie)

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'd put "The Pride of St. Louis" (Dizzy Dean story) in my top five.

Draft saved Draft deleted