1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just watched We Are Marshall

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fourth and 8, Oct 15, 2007.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I woulda said Million Dollar Baby, too, but it wasn't based on a true story ...

2. John

John Well-Known Member

Can't believe nobody has mentioned Rad yet. Classic.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry if I've said this numerous times before, but I can't let any discussion of MDB go by without mentioning that it was a dishonest piece of horseshit. Terrible movie that is way overrated.

4. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Cinderella Man was way, way underrated. Could not believe how good it was when I saw it on HBO and could not understand why it was so panned upon release.

Liked Remember the Titans, but I had a personal connection to the story. Friday Night Lights was good if you realized they took real names and made another story (also amusing how Buddy Garrity shows up in film and on the TV show). Coach Carter was pretty good.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Cinderella Man, Seabiscuit, and Hoosiers are the three best sports movies, in my opinion. As for recent football movies, I liked the the Friday Night Lights movie over Marshall or Titans.

6. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I love Remember the Titans but a lot of the movie is fiction.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I'm interested in defending the film, but how is it dishonest? Just curious.

8. Fourth and 8

Fourth and 8 Member

I think Denzel MADE Titans, he and the dude's character who eventually died.

9. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

True, Denzel was impressive.

Was it a classic movie? No. But it was pretty damn fun, inspiring, and I caught my first glimpse of a way younger Hayden Panettiere, who is now one of the hottest ladies in Hollywood.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

If somebody were to make a truly realistic presentation of Pat Jordan's "Black Coach" ... that would be one hell of a movie.

People would say, though, it was a ripoff of "Remember The Titans."

11. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I was a big Titans fan when it came out, great message, and most of it worked. I wasn't a fan of the dancing scene as mentioned above, or some of the other Disney-esque jokes which knocked it down a peg or two.

Recently, I thought Miracle did an excellent job of staying true to the story... and Kurt Russell really captured Herb Brooks nicely. That's probably one of the better ones recently, and the hockey in it was done well too.

Otherwise, Carter stayed pretty realistic while being modern, and I can't help but enjoy Radio more each time I see that movie. Invincible even had its moments. On the whole though, they've knocked out too many similar stories in this genre recently.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Because the film spends the first hour setting up Hilary Swank's character as someone who never quits and then, after the injury, she does just that. She quits on her life, going completely against the character they've developed. Absolutely ruined the movie.

And don't even get me started on how they wasted the viewers' time with the subplot about the slow kid who wants to be a boxer and eventually gets his ass beat. That whole storyline had nothing to do with anything. The only thing it did was get Morgan Freeman some more screen time (he was the best character in the movie, but that whole thing was a waste of time).

Draft saved Draft deleted