1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just saw Juno

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Dec 27, 2007.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I did like the line in Ebert's review toward the end that said he wasn't going to give away any surprises. My reaction was like then why did you write the first 12 grafs?
    Juno doesn't really compare to any movies, or at least the mainstream ones. It is lazy critic shorthand to compare one movie to another, so that's why people are saying that Juno is this year's Little Miss Sunshine.
    Those same lazy critics are the ones lumping Juno/Superbad/Knocked Up together in their year-end lists. Three distinctly different films
    I liked Juno so much, that I'm going to go see it again. I can't remember a time I went and saw a movie twice at the theater.

As far as Cera goes, he's either the greatest actor of his generation or playing himself in every role I've ever seen him in.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't mind critics comparing movies, but at least make sure it is an accurate comparison.

Ebert did avoid a lot of the actual jokes and one-liners, including the ones that have already been given away in the commercials.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Little Miss Sunshine was colossally overrated...

Cute film, but some people acted like it was the funniest film in a decade...

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

First, this reminded me nothing of Little Miss Sunshine. Zero.

Second, this is a tight movie. No real critcisms. The writing is tight, and funny, especially in the first 15-20 minutes. Ellen Page, by many standards, probably won't be nominated for an Oscar, but her performance is Oscar-worthy. She nailed it.

Michael Cera was fair-to-middlin' again, and I say that because I'm ready for him to stop playing the same morose guy from Arrested Development and also Superbad. Time for him to really drink 10 Red Bulls and *let loose* in the next few movies.

I don't think Garner added much to the movie, and I usually like her. Jason Bateman was good.

At one point the dialogue made me think the church had put this out, yet the lines never crept over the threshold to preacherville. The other thing that was a bugger at times is that some lines were funny, and people laughed, but the movie dialogue continued too quickly after the laugh lines, so people hadn't gone silent again and I missed the next few lines. They may have been throw-away lines, but I like to hear every line in a movie. I think writers need to consider that when they nail a great line, to not have another line so quickly afterward. Or maybe that's the director's job: to let the audience have its laugh and let that laugh subside before the next set of lines. Like, you let the audience laugh while you have characters block about the scene, just for a few extra seconds. But that's just the director in me.

Good film. And Page is a star on the rise. 4 stars out of 5.

On another note, that cute Breslin girl is in a movie comintg up called "Definitely, Maybe," and I'm really stoked to see it after the preview. Definitely, Maybe also is an Oasis album, one of the best albums ever released.

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Yeah, I noticed that too. First time I saw it was in a jam-packed screening of 400 people, and I missed a lot. Took the missus later and the theater was still full enough that I missed the lines again.

It is only Reitman's second film, so maybe that timing is a technique he has yet to master.

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

For the record, I wasn't judging the movie or making claims. I was bringing into this discussion the concept behind other discussions I had read regarding this movie in a larger societal context.

Like I said, I can't wait to see it.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Maybe he wants you going twice.

The tempo of the dialogue has to be organic. If the pace isn't natural, it doesn't necessarily work.

8. Songbird

Interesting thought, Simon. That said, as I watched those after-laugh lines with antennas that were suffocated by the audience noise, they seemed a bit clunky, too, as if the actors knew the previous line was reactionary funny and they were unsure how to deliver the next throw-away line.

I think you can have organic convo (great band name, Organic Convo) and still have precise blocking to make it all flow naturally.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I guess I simply disagree with you in this case, with the possible exception of the scene in the convenience store in the beginning.

movie was almost perfect, and its dialogue, and its tempo was not a point of critique in the least.

10. Songbird

Well then, it's the damn audience's fault for laughing too long and keeping me from hearing after-laugh lines, even if they were throw-away lines, dammit!

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Goddammit I want to go see this movie again.

12. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Me too. When you wanna go?

Draft saved Draft deleted