1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just saw Juno

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Dec 27, 2007.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Just call me The Movie Predictor:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/1448956/

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

If one more person compares Juno with Little Miss Sunshine, I'm kicking them square in the wedding tackle.

See Jay's initial post in this thread. LMS is filled with preposterous situations -- there's not a character in there who could be someone you know. Juno is filled with situations you can relate to. They're both good films in their own ways, but just because they're both quirky, it doesn't mean they're similar.

I just like Juno a lot and want it to be judged on its own unique merits, rather than everyone just saying it's "This year's Little Miss Sunshine."

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I thought Juno was a comedy.

Sorry, Jay.

4. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Here are a few of the similarities (some completely obscure) off the top of my head at 4:40 AM.

First of all, they each have a very established cast with a slew of talented veteran actors for such small films. However, initially strong reviews from top critics, good word of mouth from movie-goers, combined with superb performances helped each become successful.
    Shortly before LMS, Steve Carell had his big breakthrough, 40-Year Old Virgin. Shortly before Juno, Michael Cera had his big breakthrough in Superbad (both Apatow flicks that grossed tons of money). Abagail Breslin = Ellen Page, breakout stars in their respective movies. Both scripts are quirky with a memorable and feel-good ending that hooks people in and has them leaving the theater on a very positive note after turmoil towards the end of the movie. Both movies have some serious themes mixed it, obviously Juno with the pregnancy and abortion, while LMS with the drug use, death, homosexuality, suicide, etc. But both sprinkle in humor extremely effectively regarding those serious topics, which is partly a product of good writing and good acting. Characters have weird traits. ex. Dwayne in LMS with not talking and Juno's mother with dogs or Bleaker with orange tic tacs. Families are both messed up, obviously LMS in a more exaggerated and aggressive fashion, but there are definite signs in Juno of unstable families or scenes where family members clearly do not get along. Soundtracks in each movie are unforgettable, especially one song in each (The Moldy Peaches song in Juno and DeVotchka in LMS) The van could be equal to the chair, in some ways I guess.

As unrelatable as some of the scenes were in Little Miss Sunshine, it was the strong dialogue between the fucked up family and their interactions that really carried the movie and touched alot of people more so than the silly scenes like at the hospital or in the van.

I think they are both great movies that shouldn't be linked but there are some things in common that is fun to point out.

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

BB, you've described the formula for a lot of good movies. The characters have quirks. They deal with stressful topics among dysfunctional families. There are career performances. A feel-good ending emerges out of uncertainty. Come on, that could apply to a zillion films.

Yeah, Juno is getting the same kind of buzz from critics and will probably play the same Oscar role -- best picture and acting noms, doesn't actually win anything -- but watch the two films separately and they're just not the same. Give originality credit.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

You can't complain about no Cera-Bateman scenes, because there was no believable way that they could get together. Juno took total responsibility from the beginning for the pregnancy, and like most teenage boys would, Paulie sort of faded to the background. Why would there be an occassion to get Paulie and Bateman together? Gotta put your Arrested Development love aside, man.

The scene I loved the most was the one at the end where Juno and Paulie got together and played guitar. Just so unassuming, and it really kind of hammered home the point that they were sort of dorky kindred spirits. I loved the fact that the scene wasn't rushed, that the viewer got to watch them interact for the entire song. I need to see this movie again. I enjoyed it that much.

7. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I know, I was one of the handful who watched Arrested Development religiously when it was on Fox...I heard these two were going to be in a movie together and I immediatly got excited. But still, I loved Bateman's role and Cera was fine too so I have no legit complaints.

I agree with the ending, it was borderline brilliant in simplicity. That song they sang ("Anyone Else But You" by the Moldy Peaches) really fit the movie like a glove. The two casually strumming guitars and singing back and forth was a great touch. I also liked when Paulie and Juno cuddled in the hospital bed together without saying a word.

8. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Saw it last night. Very good movie. Loved Ellen Page, the guy who played her dad and, of course, Allison Janney. Not sure I'd say movie of the year in such a strong year, but should get nominated.
    As for the Little Miss Sunshine comparisons, they're both great movies, but, yeah, different. Obviously there are similarities - quirky family dramadies (or comedras?) with a natural narrative flow (road trip/pregnancy) that end in outsiders finding redemption and love in each other.
    But Juno was edgy where LMS was slapstick, it had a main character while LMS was more ensemble, and it didn't really revolve around family interaction so much as a young woman trying to find her way in the world. Also a simple ending that will probably stand up much better over time (the first time I saw the dance scene in LMS, I thought it was hilarious. But the second time it felt kind of stupid. Scene on the pier between the uncle and the kid, though, got better.)
    But, Hollywood's got to put things in their boxes, and so Juno becomes this year's Little Miss Sunshine. Not fair to it, but such is life.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I too love Arrested Development, and the reason I was seeing this movie no matter what was simply because Cera and Bateman were both in it. I'm curious, down the road, to see what kind of range Cera has. Everything he's been in -- Superbad, AD, Juno -- he's been cast as the quiet, dorky kid. I think he's got more chops than just playing those roles, so I'd like to see what other things he can do.

10. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Cera will be able to show off a bit more range in a darker film, the adaptation of the book "Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist." He's starring alongside Kat Dennings, the daughter in the 40-Year Old Virgin and it's due out sometime next year (it's currently filming in Manhatten). Everyone I know who has read the book has had nothing but great things to say about it.

After filming's done in NY, there's another interesting release on Cera's imdb profile, a Judd Apatow/Harold Ramis comedy called "Year One" set in biblical times. Its screenplay has gotten some very positive marks thus far, including one from the LA Times a few weeks ago. It has a strong cast including Cera, Jack Black, McLovin from Superbad, and David Cross (Tobias from Arrested Development).

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Maybe I don't like the comparison because I didn't like Little Miss Sunshine. I just couldn't wait for it to end and I really didn't find it that funny.

And the work of the little girl in LMS does not match up with what Page did in Juno. As somebody else mentioned, LMS was more of an ensemble piece. Page carried a lot more of the movie in Juno.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The comparison with LMS is whacky.

Draft saved Draft deleted