1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just saw Juno

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Dec 27, 2007.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Juno is described as this comedy.
    It isn't.
    Juno — for those of us a certain age, say Jason Bateman's age — will hit very close to home in more ways than one. And it isn't so much funny.
    Childless women, say around Jennifer Garner's age, won't be laughing either.
    The haters at the av club described Juno as being too smart, too well-written. I can see that, but to bust a film for being too well-done seems odd.
    People compare Juno to Little Miss Sunshine and they use the same code words — a little slice of American life, a realistic portrayal. The problem with Little Miss is at one point Greg Kinnear is driving a van with his dead father in the back, who they just busted out of the hospital, as they try to make a beauty pageant. Juno also has a van scene. Ellen Page is going down the road, by herself, and pulls over to cry because she doesn't know what the fuck she is going to do.
    Which scene seems more realistic to you?
    Best movie of the year?
    Yes.
    Just don't expect laugh from start to finish.
    The music is good as well.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Regarding Little Miss Sunshine, the whole paegent scene was off-the-charts ridiculous too. That movie didn't come close to all of the glowing kudos it got when it was out.

3. accguy

accguy Member

Saw Juno on Christmas night. Thought it was very well done. Certainly worth going to see.

4. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Cera has to have a few funny scenes, no?

5. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

Amen, brutha.

6. Funniest word in any movie this year?
    "Shenanigans."
    Trust me on this.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Heh. Two funniest parts of the movie. Both are in the commercials/trailers. The line with Shenanigans and the part where she tells the dad who the father is.

8. Editude

Editude Active Member

Better than Sunshine, which was fine but more mean-spirited. The dialogue is a little self-aware in Juno, but the parents are made out to be real people and the sentimental ending really works.

9. I think "pork swords" is pretty funny, too.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Best emotion-evoking use of a note on a crinkled piece of paper since The West Wing closed shop.

11. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Ellen Page's role in this movie is remarkable and memorable. She deserves to win awards and even the Oscar for her portrayal in this movie.

http://www.thecoast.ca/Articles-i-2007-12-27-151401.113118_Ellen_Pages_leap_year.html

A story on Page's year.

12. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Saw it late last night. Loved it...the script was absolutely solid and heartwarming (the finest mix of drama and comedy you'll find this year, although I don't understand why they seem to be selling this to the MTV crowd as a flat out comedy, it's more of a coming of age drama with bits of effective humor sprinkled in). They touched on a sensitive issue like abortion in an almost perfect way, the way a movie like Knocked Up should have. The last 20 minutes or so was just fantastic and should leave you walking out of the theater happy and optimistic.

The cast is talented and superb, including Ellen Page who took this movie over as the sarcastic, sharp-tongued pregnant title character and will likely rack up some awards. My only complaint was there should have been more Cera. He's comedic gold and certainly succeeds in Juno while playing a more serious role than accustomed to, but it seemed like they could have done a bit more with him. Simmons and Janney were terrific as Juno's parents and added some well-placed one liners throughout. Bateman was real good as well, his character and situation becomes quite interesting in the middle of the movie. But no Cera-Bateman scenes? C'mon now.

I definitely see the similarities between Juno and last year's Little Miss Sunshine. Both are quirky, feel-good little gems with with a relateable, albeit exaggerated, family dynamic and awesome casts. Also both have distinguishable and refreshingly unique soundtracks.

Draft saved Draft deleted