1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just ran my first marathon

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Shoeless Joe, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I ran my first marathon today. 26.2 miles in 4:30.49. That's about double world class, but for a 41-year-old that started running 14 months ago, to say I'm happy is an understatement.

It was tough, no doubt about it. I had put in the training and felt good the entire way. Still, about mile 20-21 on race day, the thought "This shit just got real" popped into my head. I never had to walk. There was a time or two in that last few miles that my legs wanted to walk, but my head stayed in charge, so I kept going.

The finish line was at the 50 inside Neyland Stadium in Knoxville. Let me tell you, entering the stadium, seeing yourself on the jumbotron and crossing the finish line creates an absolute state of euphoria. You get a finisher's medal, then come around and flop down on the grass ... the euphoria changed to getting a little emotional.

Marathon = absolute sense of accomplishment.

2. You didn't die, so you did better than the first guy who ran a marathon.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Congrats.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Congratulations. Just fantastic.

5. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Fantastic run, Joe. Enjoy this one for a while, at least a week, maybe more, then figure out if you want to run another one.

And per unofficial marathon rules, you can wear your medal for 24 hours and no one can give you any shit.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Shoeless, we all know your time would have been faster had you not carried the huge flag the whole way.

[​IMG]

Congrats. Very impressive to finish the without walking once.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Congrats, Joe. That's awesome!

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Fine, I'll go to the gym tonight!

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Were you shoeless?

10. Shoeless Joe

Thanks all. It really is the "I did it" moment of one's life.

11. Shoeless Joe

I was about a minute after crossing the finish line! I couldn't wait to get my shoes off. That was the real emotional part: after getting around to a clear area, getting my shoes off and just laying back on the grass; it was "I can stop now. I did it." 100% relief/accomplishment.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Congrats. Did four. At some point they all really sucked, but the sense of accomplishment handily trumped that. Treat yourself next week. You deserve it. I recommend a 90-minute sports massage to get the toxins out of your body.

Draft saved Draft deleted