1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just leaving Vancouver

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Jan 10, 2018.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

What a fantastic city. Makes LA look like a shithole.

But I have a sj.com question. What's the deal with Tim Horton's? I heard it spoken in reverential terms for years here. The donuts were a little underwhelming. Too cakey for my tastes.

Was it the coffee or donuts that are supposed to be special?

2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Tim Horton's is a Canadian institution mostly for historic reasons. Tim was a hockey player who died in a car wreck, so it has that. It used to be just donuts and coffee, and it was a place to gather out of the cold and shoot the shit. The donuts and coffee were pretty good, but mostly it was just a place to hang. They sprang up everywhere. Relatively small towns like Moncton have, like, fifty of them.

But then they stopped baking the donuts in-house, and they added all sorts of food, all of which, except for the chili, is shit. Canadians are mostly addicted to the coffee and the idea of Tim Horton's than to the products anymore.

All that being said, Krispy Kreme got run out of Canada on a rail. We're loyal to our Timmy's. Like the Tragically Hip and Corner Gas, it's one of those weirdly insular Canadian things that's kind of hard to explain.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The coffee is pretty good.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Spot on, here. I love the chili, is the only food item I order if I happen to be at one for lunch. Timbits are an office institution, even if, as noted here, the donuts aren't what they used to be.

And Tims is everywhere, Starbucks has its fans, no question about that, but like type noted, Krispy Kreme got destroyed here and unless you are talking fast food there is really nowhere else to go it is that dominant.

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I know I'm in Canada when I've got six empty Tim Horton's cups and $14 in change on my hotel-room nightstand.

Huggy likes this.
  6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

6 hookers at a time? Good work.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Tim Horton's used to have good donuts made on the premises but everything is now mass produced. Also, their coffee is shitty. If it was good you wouldn't need to drink it 'double double' IMO.

I do have a Timmy's app on my phone though. A 57 year old woman on a road trip needs to be able to find bathrooms quickly. ;)

I'm glad you enjoyed my home town though. :cool:

8. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Loved Moncton. And Sherbrooke. And Edmonton. Never disappointed with my donut options at Tim Horton's.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I drink it double double.

HC likes this.
  10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That makes sense. The first Tim Horton's I went to was in St. Louis (which probably isn't exactly at the top of the company ladder), and I was giddy to go in -- like I was finally getting in on a big secret. The Timbits were fine but I didn't think they were better than Munchkins from Dunkin Donuts.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It sucks, I can't stand it.

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Damn Canadian women of the evening are polite: I can't imagine American hookers making change

Draft saved Draft deleted