1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just had to share this ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pressboxramblings07, Feb 22, 2008.

1. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

There was a Cincinnati sports anchor (Bob Hillman???) who saw one of those "classic championship fights" productions on ESPN (ack!!) a good 20-25 years ago and read the results on the late-night telecast. He mistook a heavyweight title bout from something like five years earlier to be a live event.

Doesn't say much for him . . . or the state of boxing's heavyweight division, I guess.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Oh yes, we've got that too.

Since I'm on DirecTV, I have no clue what cable channels events are on. So I tell them to call their cable provider.

Then they say "Well, I live in Podunksville, what company am I with?" Uh, I don't know. Don't you pay a bill each month? "Do you have their phone number?" No, you should call directory assistance.

3. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

I once got a call from someone saying the scoreboard was wrong at a college game, which was across the country but the local college was playing at there. I asked them if they would like to me call the stadium and have it fixed, and they calmly (not really) told me they didn't care what I did, but to fix it. gotta love it.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

They'll recognize the perseverance eventually. Determination, my friend, won't steer you wrong.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i once had a lady call everyfuckingday for an entire season and ask what time the cardinals were playing (my extension). and if i told her they had a day off, she'd argue with me.

i'd still shank that old bitch with a sharpened toothbrush if given the opportunity.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Play nice.

She could be a quad typing with a pen, but that would have been the Dodgers.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

One of my favorite calls was after we covered a H.S. game in which one local team had been undefeated against inferior competition. After much nagging from parents, we send a reporter and photographer to a game with the undefeated team and a bigger rival. Bigger rival wins.

Several parents call: You covered that game because you knew our team would lose. (of course, we journalists can predict the future).

Our response: And if your team would have won, you would have yelled at us because we weren't covering the greatest upset ever.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Stay classy, 93Devil.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i think his brain shuts down at times.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You guys remember the story I'm talking about right?

Girl writes the LA Times everyday. Writer takes a trip out to meet her...

Sometimes the little old lady needs a little more sympathy than she is given. Even if she is driving you batshit crazy.

11. lono

lono Active Member

Maybe she needed the starting time so she'd know when to blog the game.

12. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

Or the call I got one day from somebody bitching that we had run ice skating results from the previous day and this person was all upset because whatever it was wouldn't be televised for a couple of days and us printing the results ruined it for her.

Draft saved Draft deleted