1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just gross...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zeke12, Jan 30, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

2. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Apparently they took the crotch-grabber moniker too literally.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Naw, it is apparently a strain of herpes you can get from wrestling mats.

How long before they just axe wrestling as a public health danger? Seriously, is there any disease you can't get from those mats?

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It's amazing the stuff these athletes get from the mats. That alone makes me glad I never tried this sport.

And if that doesn't do it, don't forget that the Greeks competed in the nude during the original olympics. That included wrestling. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I always found wrestling dull to cover, and full of the craziest parents.

On the other hand, it was also full of some of the nicest, hardest-working kids who loved the sport because they had finally found something that had less to do with innate athletic ability than it did busting your ass.

But I seem to read two or three of these "outbreak" wrestling stories a winter anymore.

6. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

When I was a wrestler, I always went to the mat with less 'gear' than my opponent. [/JDV]

7. Norman Stansfield

You'd think staph infections would be fairly common in wrestling as well, considering the contact they have with each other and the mat.

Yet another reason to never roll around half-naked with another sweaty guy.

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

You need more than one?

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Only because your 'gear' kept shrinking from the 'roids.

10. Norman Stansfield

Nope.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

My son's team is under strict orders to shower the moment they get home. Once all these kids leave practice, they practically flood the floor with disinfectants.

It is not breaking my heart that this is a sport my son is cooling toward. First, there's the disease, and then there's getting up at five in the morning to sit around and wait all day for the nine minutes (tops) your kid is wrestling.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

And then there's the eating disorders it can give young boys.

As I've said, some of the nicest HS kids I've ever dealt with have been wrestlers. But it is some fucked up shit.

Draft saved Draft deleted