1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Just give me a kid who can play the game'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

In my experience, the wealthier the parents, the worse their behavior. They are used to getting their way about everything, and refuse to take no for an answer.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Swimming is also highly individualized, with a forced team component.
    It almost breeds selfishness and conceit.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

There are asshole parents in every sport.

Just as a really general rule I'd say the raging-prick quotient is higher in the country-club travel-team sports, but I've also known blue-collar basketball parents from the inner city who were assholes, too.

In the country-club sports you get a lot of snobbism, "well, we're just better than THOSE people, because, well, we are," that often has little or nothing to do with sports.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

True, but if it was about that, wrestling and track parents would be just as overbearing. And I really don't think they are.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Ok, I see that. Although just about *every* youth sport has parents and kids with a lot invested these days.

We'll it seems to be a consensus that the parents are jerks, though its opposite from what i've seen in the stands. The thing I like is that the results are up in the scoreboard, so there is so much less wiggle room for parents to make excuses (Refs screwed us!!).

I'll stand down.

And it might have been mentioned here before but all those disgruntled parents should move to Orange County CA, where the Register has a full time (at least in swim season) beat writer.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

When I was a young man I dealt with many asshole track and CROSS COUNTRY parents.
    If you want to torture me, forget about the chamber. Threaten to send me to cross country and I'll sing like a bird.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Probably the most entertaining of these instances is when the two very different worlds of soccer collide -- the suburban minivan crowd that has had their kids on select teams (in tightly officiated games) since age 8 versus the barrio boys who have grown up watching the rough-and-tumble Mexican leagues and apply that style every weekend.

It's a hoot.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

A lot of papers do. Shoot, we do.

Draft saved Draft deleted