1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Just give me a kid who can play the game'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 15, 2014.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

and if you watch those games these kids are far better hitters now than they have ever been.

I have no problem teaching them how to do it, just that it should be used so rarely that it is not even an issue.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Go back and re-read: I never said I never bunted -- I said I never SAC bunted.

Any time I ever had a kid bunt, it was with the idea of getting a hit. Occcasionally it would be in a situation which resembled a normal sac-bunt scenario, but the idea ALWAYS was the batter was trying to get a hit (the batter haul-assing down the baseline also significantly ups the chance the defense is going to screw up the play, as well).

"Learning to play the game right" means NEVER SAC BUNTING.

Well, even 30 years ago, my observation (and experience) was that more balls hit to RF were usually tailing/slicing liners, while most hit to LF were hit pretty square and came out there on a straight line, so everything else being equal I'd rather have the faster/more agile fielder in RF.

Also if a ball drops in the OF and the right fielder has to go 4-5 steps to go get it, half the time the runner makes the turn and goes to third. In left field the play is still right in front of you so it's much less frequent they go to third.

If a ball is hit to either corner OF and gets completely past the outfielder and goes to the wall, you're pretty much screwed either way, so that factor is a wash.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Then I read you right. And it's wrong. Sacrifice bunting and bunting for a hit are two different approaches. Both can be vital in building an offensive inning. And not teaching the sacrifice bunt is wrong.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

In other words, you have no argument for my point because I am absolutely right, but you are too much of a lying troll to admit it.

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

No, just not interested in taking up debate with the likes of you.

6. outofplace

You certainly spend a lot of time posting about things you aren't interested in. :)

7. outofplace

Agreed. I get not believing in the sacrifice bunt strategically, but on the lower levels, coaching should be focused on building skills.

Sorry. I don't do STFU very well. :D

8. jr/shotglass

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Here you go again getting involved in something that isn't any of your business, partner.
    This seems like a personal flaw.
    Stay out of it.

10. jr/shotglass

My god, are you an infant?

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Any time spent teaching any kid below the varsity high school level to bunt would be better spent teaching them how to hit.

At that level, any kid with sufficient hand-eye coordination and bat control to bunt decently can almost certainly put those skills to use hitting the ball hard.

If you get to high school with the expectation that any time there's a runner on base you're going to be a pussy and throw away an out, it's hardly surprising such hitters become passive, reactive and submissive in such situations, and thus become easy outs -- the self-fulfilling prophecy.

This phenomenon is especially powerful in girls softball, where many coaches think nothing of telling their 3 or 4 hitters to sac bunt.

I had a few dads get on my case about it, "Don't you know when to sac bunt?" and I said, "Yeah: Never."

12. jr/shotglass

Well, then you know yours is a minority view. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted