1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just awful..Girl disemboweled in pool

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

For the rest of this girl's life, she will be eating food through an IV. I'm sure there will be other factors involved, like risks of diseases, limited mobility, etc. I can't imagine that this is all very cheap. So, who pays for it?

Seriously, here. We have a child that is horrendously disfigured for the rest of her life to the point where she requires daily medical attention. Who is paying for it?

Can anyone on this thread say that the girl deserves to bear this financial burden?
    Should she really take on such a financial burden because someone else didn't follow the law?

That is why there will be a lawsuit. That is why the child will win the settlement. This isn't some frivilous lawsuit hoping to make it rich because the person didn't like the scar they ended up with. This is a child that will shackled with medical costs beyond the point of recognition.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

THIS one isn't. Plenty are.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

In addition to shotglass' "accidents happen" response, here's something else to consider.

It's not simply a case of neglegent people pay for accident, everything else goes along smoothly.

If a business or government organization is crippled by this, then innocent people could lose their jobs, innocent consumers could see their prices rise, innocent people could see their taxes rise, etc.

If a lawsuit can correct something (or at least pay for medical costs, etc.), then that's usually a wise move.

But when you get into punitive damages (aka "sue the bastards for every cent"), then the chances increase that innocent people will get hurt, the judgment almost certainly will go to appeal after appeal, and the only sure winners are the lawyers.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

So ... an innocent person was hurt.
    The reason was because someone broke the law.
    If someone had done their job, it wouldn't have happened.
    Everyone tosses the McDonald's coffee case around as an example of punitive damages and lawsuits ran wild.
    Go back and read the case. McDonald's took a calculated risk on the temp of the coffee they served. The hotter it was, the more it smelled like coffee in the story and the more product they moved.
    McDonald's was told by internal and external safety experts that they needed to lower the temp or someone would be hurt. McDonald's ignored those reports because they calculated that unless they were hit by punitive damages, the money made from the extra coffee sold was more than the settlements they would pay. And to be hit with the big damages would require a freak set of circumstances.
    Then an elderly grandmother got third-degree burns on her vagina and the jury dropped the hammer on McDonald's as a result.
    Back to the Minnesota case, the law there is simple, keep everything covered, and they didn't. The pool has insurance and it will be likely be settled for seven, maybe eight figures.
    The pool place doesn't have any defense.

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i really can't believe anyone would have a "shit happens" attitude about something like this. did they purposely cause this? no. were they negligent? hell yes! release the effing legal hounds.

6. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I'd never heard that much about that case. That's interesting. I (like many, I assume) just figured it was some idiot woman who spilled on her lap, got burnt a little, and got the right set of circumstances in lawyer/judge/jury to get a ton of money. I didn't know the background.

As for this case -- pool boy broke the law. Pool company (or swim club, or whatever it was) should be sued for it. And the pool boy should be fired, but nothing more (unless the pool club can sue him somehow for his negiligence, which I'm not sure about. If he can be sued, I wouldn't blame the pool club for doing it).

But to say the girl shouldn't sue anyone is asinine. I'm not in favor of ridiculous settlements in most cases, but in this instance, she certainly deserves all she can get.

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

An update on the poor Minnesota girl. She underwent a triple transplant

It was her small bowel, liver and pancreas. No report on her condition, but the hope was she might not need the feeding tube for the rest of her life if it was successful.

http://www.startribune.com/local/12624766.html

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I don't think this could happen to men. But I'm no doctor.

RIP the legend of Boots.

9. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Best of wishes to this little girl.

About 12 years ago I covered the saga of a local high-school girl who needed a triple organ transplant following an accident. Unfortunately she lived only a short time after said transplant.

Here's hoping this case turns out much happier.

10. KG

KG Active Member

I don't know about being pulled out by a pool drain, but wasn't there some heavy weight lifter that basically pushed his out? I remember seeing a painfully discusting picture a long time ago.

11. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

She's developed a type of cancer triggered by organ transplants.

www.startribune.com/local/west/16358491.html

12. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

She died yesterday. Thoughts and prayers to the family.

www.startribune.com/lifestyle/health/16896311.html

Draft saved Draft deleted