1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jury rules against Westboro cultists

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Oct 31, 2007.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I'm not going to speak for god, all I'm saying is the bible is rife with contradictions about many things, offering many admonitions and many opportunities to offend god, slavery isn't one of them. Which is one of the justifications for the existence of slavery in Christian nations through the 19th century.
    All I'm saying is that if you look to the bible as a rationalization or justification for almost anything, you'll find it.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Provided you take things out of context and pick and choose which facts you think are pertinent. If you look at the body of work as a whole and put it all in its proper context and what Christ had to say about many of the old testament principles -- there aren't many, if any contradictions and there isn't much wiggle room for interpretation as some people would have us believe.

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Leviticus 25:44-46 that God told them: "As for your male and female slaves whom you may have: You may buy your male and female slaves from the nations that are round about you ... You may bequeath them to your sons after you, to inherit as a possession forever."

Exodus 21:20: "When a man strikes his slave, male or female, with a rod and the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. But if the slave survives a day or two, he shall not be punished: for the slave is his money."

Not much room for misinterpretation there. Nothing out of context. Two points in favor of slavery from the "flawless" book.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

As was stated earlier, because religion is a rather fluid designation, fundamentalist christian is one the cult can claim.

But Wesboro does indeed give REAL fundamentalists an even worse name than they already have.

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Once again, Mr. clueless tries to come up with an intelligent post and steps in it as usual. You obviously don't know the context of those passages, the context not only in which they were written but in the time frame, the era, with which they were written.

But along with being a Tax professional, I'm sure you are a biblical scholar as well so I'm sure you already knew that and was just showing your ass because you like to....

6. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

This is why people brand you as an asshole/troll.

Pastor brought up some valid points, and you, as usual, resorted to calling people stupid.

7. He can't help himself.

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I quoted the Bible. Either it says it or it doesn't. If there is more context that needs to be added, why don't you actually provide it instead of making the claim that one exists. Until then, you have proved nothing.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'll help zaggy.

The context is that Leviticus was a bit slow and wore a tinfoil hat, so we kinda discount him as needed.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Leviticus also called for some horribly evil punishments for what we today would consider relatively minor offenses. But it's all in context, right Zag? ::)

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Seriously, I thought God handled the issue well in his 18th Century bestseller: "That Leviticus Never Could Take a Joke! -- Delightful Tales from the Deity"

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

A fishing rod?

So if a master beats the piss out of a slave and he/she dies, it's cool?

Draft saved Draft deleted