1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jurors accused of having sex while sequestered, murderer wants new trial

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by schiezainc, Dec 24, 2008.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2008/12/22/Jury_room_sex_could_mean_new_trial/UPI-10631229978569/

God, I would love to be in the court room to hear the explanations on why these jurors figured it was OK to have themselves some nooky while sequestered and I would love even more to hear why a convicted murderer feels this should allow him to have a new trial.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I'm more impressed that this story came from UPI

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm just surprised poindexter wasn't the one who posted this thread.

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Why wouldn't it be OK? Do they specifically tell them not to have personal relationships?

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Because it could compromises the integrity of the jury.

6. Pillow talk.
    I'm serious.
    Judges take private communications between individual jurors outside of the earshot of the others VERY seriously, and these two are morons.

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

So are they instructed not to have personal relationships even if they don't discuss the case? I'm looking at this from a purely legal standpoint. If the instructions don't specifically discourage such acts, I don't see how the argument flies, unless they stipulate that they did indeed talk about the case while banging each other.

8. forever_town

On another note, shouldn't the subject line read accused murder instead of murderer? He hasn't been convicted yet.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

If there's a whiff of impropriety, the case could be compromised. Putting your self in a position where you could discuss the case outside the jury room is evidence enough

My brother was a juror in a murder trial about twenty years ago and they had SPECIFIC instructions about this. Now, that's up here, but Idoubt it's much different in the States.

And FB is right, these two are morons.

10. Flash

Flash Guest

What if the girl is fat?

11. forever_town

Well, he ain't down with that!

12. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

That's why I will reserve judgment as to whether they were morons. She's really hot = he's not a moron for sleeping with her, but still a moron for not getting out of jury duty.

EDIT TO CLARIFY: It doesn't work the other way around. If the hot woman is sleeping with a man who was too dumb to get out of jury duty, that's just another strike against her.

Draft saved Draft deleted