1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

July 23rd, 2007 - It's a great day Steeler fans

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Jul 23, 2007.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

Really.

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Would I be better served by just staying off the board from September through the end of the February? My god, do I hate the NFL.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And you ask people who their favorite team is during an interview?

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

What does that even mean?

5. pallister

pallister Guest

Yes, you would be. And so would we.

6. Clever username

There is a button. Don't talk about it, but use it. [/Moddy]

7. pallister

pallister Guest

Shouldn't have to. I have certain sports I don't particularly care for, which is why I stay off those threads. I don't wanna be the moron (moran) that jumps into the discussion to let everyone know how much he hates the sport they're talking about.

8. 93Devil

Buck, other than finding out that you are in your 20s (which blows my mind due to your knowledge of baseball), if this was a blog you were writing or anything with your byline on it, I see not saying we. I am not wearing a press pass or sitting in the newsroom or have a pad out with my pen clicked open or on the clock in anyway. If you cannot enjoy your favorite team enough to spit out a we when referring to them, then you are losing the passion that you brought you into this business.

When I was 25, I was editing a daily in Upstate NY, and I remember not watching one Saturday college football game all year because I was preparing the Sunday edition. It sucked. It started to suck my joy of sports away.

When you are on your own time, I do not think anything is wrong with a we. I know there are very different views on this, but that one is mine.

9. Clever username

Glad to see you're not taking this personally.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

We can't catch a break. [/hawkharrelson]

11. 93Devil

If you were trained in HR there are certain questions you can ask and certain questions you cannot ask. Many times you read from a script of questions.

For example, any question that is not job related should not be asked because the potential hire would think that their response would be used prejudicially if they were not hired.

For example. Even if a woman walks in eight months pregnant, you are not to ask "when are you due?" The woman could counter after the fact that the reason she did not get the job was because she would be facing maternity leave down the road. You cannot ask if people are married, divorced, go to church, and yes, who is their favorite team.

Just the facts of HR and hiring. I don't agree with them, but those are the rules that are smart to follow.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Totally disagree. I never use 'we' to refer to the Braves, my favorite team ... and I think it's fair to say I haven't lost an iota of passion for baseball. ;)

I think it's unhealthy to hold any player or team in such high regard that you start to call them "we". They're human beings, not superheroes. And you're not one of them, no matter how meaningful they are to your life. You are not "we," no matter how much you want to be.

Draft saved Draft deleted