1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Judging spot (sports) news

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Mar 7, 2007.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I have, quite unexpectedly, had an AP category from another state dropped in my lap. It's spot sports.

You would recognize the names from the entries if I named them, oh yes.

A couple of them lurk on the board, which is cause for some minor discomfort.

I personally know none of them and have never worked with any of them.

Anyway, I know what I like and I have generally made up my mind, but I am curious ...

How would you judge apples-and-oranges spot sports news entries?

Let's say you had an NBA seventh game package, a high school football championship package, the hiring of an NFL coach, the death of a legendary college player-coach and a package from a NASCAR Busch race.

(None of these are in my packet, I'm just trying to mash odd things together and change the names to protect the innocent.)

How do you draw a baseline through all of those things?

The NBA package has all kinds of sidebars and columns -- all good stuff. The Busch race, not so much. The high school football coverage has a pedestrian lead but one column that's probably the best single piece of writing in the whole affair. The obit package is wonderfully nuanced and is the one thing I'll probably keep copies of for future reference.

It seems to me, and I am looking for an argument here, that in spot sports that it all begins with the mainbar. It needs to suggest something about the texture of the complete coverage ... like a musical overture, it needs to restate several of the themes that other writers will play elsewhere. Whatever else is written, the mainbar has to be the frame to support everything.

And is it worth pondering the amount of time the staff had to work? A noon NFL game, after all, would be far different in terms of time to get organized than a BCS game that ended near midnight ET.

Just asking ... I know some of you have must have been in this boat before.

2. HejiraHenry

It's really depressing to me that nobody on the board has an opinion about this.

Too busy posting about Scooter Libby, I guess.

3. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Well, you pretty much covered all the intelligent points anyone could make in your last three grafs. (I mean this as a compliment.)

Plus, repeating the same tired Plamegate talking points (on both sides) is much more interesting, I'm sure.

4. HejiraHenry

Heh. Maybe I did answer my own question.

5. Absolutely. I have trouble considering anything that doesn't come in over the scanner spot, actually, but maybe that's just me.

6. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Henry, if my five-part expose' on junior high water polo don't win, I'm huntin' ya down!!!!

7. HejiraHenry

Hmm. Might have missed that. Maybe forward it to the 2007 BASW.

Draft saved Draft deleted