1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Judgement at Nuremburg -- Soccer Style or...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Freelance Hack, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

If they tie, the Americans are as good as Ghana

:D

Discuss America's chances of getting through the Group of Death.

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Not bad. Both the USA and Ghana have starters out, but I think both of Ghana's top forwards are suspended. Pope is replaceable. It's a game the USA can win as long as they play similarly to Saturday (cut out some of the fouling).

the Czechs and Italians have a lot to play for. The Czechs have too many injuries and other suspensions to make me think they can beat Italy. Plus, both teams are playing for first in the group. A tie coupled with a Ghana win means Italy plays Brazil, and a USA win with a tie could mean the Czechs play Brazil. If you look at who the Group E winner plays in the second round, and the subsequent path, it's much easier. Why have so many people picked the Czechs to advance far? Because of the path they'd take if they win the group.

Italy 2, Czech 1
    USA 1, Ghana 0

3. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

That's pretty bold, king. I'd bet that both Italy and Czech come out with piss and vinegar and have a great game. Neither team can afford a loss and tie doesn't honestly do them any good. Ghana has looked good in both games and I honestly don't know how they match up with the US. But I think the US will miss Pablo a great deal. Losing Pope doesn't bother me. I haven't thought much of him for the past year or so. My guess:

Italy 1, Czech 0
    Ghana 1, USA 0.

I just don't have any faith in the US scoring. Haven't really had a ton of opportunies this tournament. I think I read a stat where the Americans have only two shots on goal through two games. That's not going to get it done.

But I hope you're right.

Draft saved Draft deleted