1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Judge Nelson rules in favor of players, lifts lockout

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Apr 25, 2011.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Some of them.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

My avatar alone brings joy to the world.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Is it like rain on your wedding day?

4. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Where are our board legal experts?
    My understanding is that there are two different set of issues -- what the players are saying in the case, and what the players want in a new CBA. They're not the same things, necessarily. In the case, they're just pointing out ways that the owners are working to restrict the free flow of labor. They're not saying that these are necessarily things the players union would want to get rid of, just things that the NFL can't do, according to labor law, unless it's through collective bargaining, which is impossible since the union is "dissolved."

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So if this goes south for the owners does Goodell lose his job?

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I wonder what percentage of NFL players have $1 million in net worth at any given time.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Not many, so most of them have to steal stories No. 21-infinity from the NYT Web site.[/crossthread]

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

FYPcrossthread

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Stay classy.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And the thing is, with a few tweaks, the NFL had an excellent business model. The owners made money. The employees made money. And the customers (fans) were (relatively) happy and willing to spend money.

But the owners got too damn greedy. Had they gone to the union with a proposal to take the savings from a rookie wage scale and put all that money into retirement benefits, the players probably would have approved. And if the owners wanted a bigger piece of the pie, they should have offered some sort of salary guarantees to the players, rather than the current system of cutting a guy and not owing them anything except their bonus. And scratch this 18-game idea, unless the owners want to suit up themselves. Put up or shut up.

But nope. Corporate greed runs amok. And hopefully, they pay for it. Big time.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The judge's ruling was actually fairly simple in light of existing labor law (as I understand it from my legal studies, not necessarily everyday practice.)

The owners do not get the benefit of having the opportunity to bargain with the players individually (without a union or collective bargaining agreement) AND ALSO the benefit of throwing up a collective effort to lock out the players. That is classic anti-trust behavior, working collectively together against individuals (think oil companies collectively acting in concert to raise gas prices.) That's what the owners did.

Once the players decertified, the owners got to strike individual deals with each separate player (Fedex loves this vs. what UPS has to do); however instead of saying to Brees "we'll give you unlimited health for life for you and your family" and then to Alex Smith "we'll give you $1M but you have to pay for your own health insurance for this year"; they decided to declare a lockout. Wrong.

Everyone focuses that decertification was "illusory" but legally it is not an insigificant move, by decertifying the players said they would bargain individually and that opened up the possibility that a 8 yr. vet could be paid $100k instead of the $1M required under the CBA. Yet the owners know that they cannot help themselves, they will bid against each other for the stars without an artificial restraint (salary cap) and salaries will skyrocket.

12. And that frightens me. Honestly, I'm worried that my Cardinals are about to have any chance of ever being relevant permanently extinguished because of this ruling. That's a big reason why I'm hoping the owners win the appeal.

Draft saved Draft deleted