1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Judge agrees: Duke football sucks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Matt1735, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

App used to get Wake Forest on the schedule pretty frequently, and while it was always in Winston-Salem, there's plenty of App grads in the area, and at the time Demon Deacon tickets weren't exactly prized pigs. And App beat them a few times, as I recall.

The state legislature DID step in to force the ACC schools to play East Carolina.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

East Carolina, in general, possesses one of the worst inferiority complexes known to mankind. Appalachian State does not.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

We follow Appy State closely because Jerry Moore is from North Texas. They seem to know exactly where they stand (a I-AA powerhouse in a state with 5 I-A programs, 4 in the ACC) and seem content to stay where they are. I haven't sensed a big push to make the jump to I-A. Although that might've changed after the win in the Big House; I don't know.

If any school can make the transition successfully, they could, but it would have to be at the Sun Belt/MAC level.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

This is exactly the same story, only from Yahoo Sports. I only bring it to attention because it lists one of the Cardinals non-conference games last season as Syracuse.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/rumors/post/Judge-Duke-football-stinks?urn=ncaaf,89496

How long has Louisville been in the Big East now?

5. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

To be fair to Yahoo, I'm pretty sure the Big East spent most of last year trying to convince everyone that Syracuse wasn't really a member.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

ASU played at N.C. State in what, I believe, was Amato's last year there. Mountaineers gave 'em a good game, but didn't have the team speed to hang with the Wolfpack.

That was what stunned me so much about the Michigan game. They had played at N.C. State, Kansas and LSU the previous years and hung in there, but just didn't have the athletes. Then they go to the Big House and make the Wolverines look slow.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Just goes to show that the Big 10 isn't known for its speed.
    Covered a kid who was looking at SEC schools and some of the Big 10 schools because of some family connections.
    He was in the 4.5 range as a linebacker and the SEC schools didn't think he had the speed to make the switch to safety. The Big 10 schools said he would be one of the five fastest players on the team.
    This isn't to bash the Big 10, but you can tell, from top to bottom, the speed isn't there like it is in the SEC or the Pac 10.

8. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Louisville's not the only team scared of Appy, especially considering Armanti Edwards has two more seasons.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

That judge is kinda missing what makes Duke such a rare and desireable opponent, a rare double combo: it gives you both a guaranteed win AND, at least statisically, credit for having scheduled a major BCS conference school.

Schools that satisfy that combo are scheduling gold in today's college football world, not easy to replace at all, which is probably why Louisville fought this so fiercely.

10. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Just noticed this thread has moved over to a discussion of ASU, so thought I would throw in my two cents.

UNC: Dick Baddour will not return Charlie Cobb's calls.

N.C. STATE: Yeah, ASU got worked in that game. It has since been pointed out that was before Armanti Edwards was the starter. He came in late and led the team to a touchdown.

WAKE FOREST: Jim Grobe will not return Jerry Moore's calls. When Grobe came to WFU, he said the series was over because it made no sense to play ASU every year (and lose quite a bit).

SCHEDULING: Almost impossible. The LSUs of the world, who feel like they can beat anywhere at any time, will still return calls. But outside of the top 20, it seems schools are saying it is not worth the risk.

SPEED: Recruiting. When I was in school, Moore and company were running a power-I offense that occasionally had the QB drop back and heave it as far as he could. With the switch to the spread, coaches started looking for speed everywhere. Overall team speed has improved to the point that Dexter Jackson and a few others are faster than the sprinters on the track team (which routinely dominates the Southern Conference, so it's not like they are slouches).

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

It's a no-win situation for Appalachian State's opponents, AppGrad. You know that.

Appalachian State is getting hung up on in football just like Gonzaga is getting hung up on in men's basketball. Davidson's men's basketball program will suffer the same fate for two more years with Stephen Curry there.

It's no surprise that Dick Baddour won't return a call (he's a good man, but the fun was blasting him in print, prompting his Napoleanic brother to respond ... good times!). NCSU won't be calling because the Mountaineers would beat the Wolfpack by at least 10 in Raleigh, Boone or the Dark Side of the Moon. I'm also not surprised in the least that Jim Grobe and Wake Forest are avoiding ASU, too.

That last one is a shame. Between Wake Forest's awakening in football and the number of Appalachian State fans not far away, Groves Stadium could actually be full for once.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

This is why...this is why...this is why you suck.

Draft saved Draft deleted