1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

JRC hires Lazard Freres to 'review options'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by goalmouth, Apr 7, 2008.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

What does it say about the world that we live in that a company as well managed and innovative as JRC can't succeed?

I mean, come on. I work at a place sold by JRC last year, and let me tell you, the difference is noticeable.

Whereas JRC was hands-off and fucking things up, this new place is hands-on and fucking things up.

I remember thinking to myself back when we were with JRC that "you know, this whole not re-staffing, making everyone have six new responcibilties and never updating the computer systems" philosophy was brilliant.

Of course, that's only because I'm an idiot.

But hey, last I checked, my stock was worth more than a five-piece pack of Juicy Fruit.

2. lono

lono Active Member

It gets worse.

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/080411/usa_newspapers_outlook.html?.v=2

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Not to nitpick, but they lowered the rating on their bonds, not their stock (although the latter will undoubtedly take a hit because of it.)

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Here's another variable to the equation, my fellow bottom-feeders...

The NYSE -- if they haven't already -- will be sending out a delisting memo to Bob and the Boys at JRC, when their stock has traded below $1 for 10 straight days.

They will have 30 days in which to get their stock price north of a buck or face the ultimate capitalistic fuck-you -- delisting from the NYSE to the OTC/"pink sheets".

This is akin to soccer relegation: going from trading alongside the GE's, Goldman Sachses, Proctor and Gambles, J&Js and Boeings of the world to trading with the penile implants, penny stocks and other "pump-and-dump" (pardon the bad pun) scam crap you get in your e-mail spam.

5. derwood

derwood Active Member

http://newsosaur.blogspot.com/2008/04/what-went-wrong-at-jrc.html

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

wow.

7. lapdog

lapdog Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

"strategic missteps and bad luck"?

I thought it was gross stupidity and unwitting hari-kiri.

So long, scumbag.

9. lono

lono Active Member

Foreman said Bobby's going boys, and he ain't coming back.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

My hope is that when JRC bites the big one, local investors will be able to pick up some of the individual newspapers dirt cheap located in a decent local economy, albeit with a strategy for growth built on a new business model.

The industry will rise from the ashes of JRC, Singleton and others.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

that was one sweet piece of crossthreading, sir.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Bobby said he'd pull out, but Bobby stayed in.

Draft saved Draft deleted