1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

JR! Mobilize!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Aug 4, 2007.

1. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/chris-kelly/the-national-reviewi_b_59058.html

A whole bunch of American chickenhawks are coming to roost in Victoria.
    On behalf of the United States of America, I'd like to apologize for theNational Review crowd.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I have no idea what you're talking about, and the fact that you only posted a link means the bunny with the pancakes doesn't want to waste his time either.

3. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

What's the big mystery?

4. Flash

Flash Guest

You pricks won't be happy until you get our oil ...

Seriously, this Jonah Goldberg sounds like a bit of a wiener. The Rush Limbaugh type that just says shit to stir it up?

5. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

"Bit" of a weiner? He's the full dog.

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that, F_B. I understand why people talk shit about Canada - we're not a powerful country, we value collective rights over individual rights a little more than our friends to the South and we talk funny - but it can be painful to hear. And yes, hearing your country dismissed the way it is by folks like the National Review crowd can be especially cruel when the front pages of our newspapers carry another story of a Canadian Peacekeeper killed protecting people far from home.

I know that this article was posted in a light hearted way but I'm a first generation Canadian and my parents, both of whom were born in The Netherlands, met in Canada because their parents chose to emigrate here. And why Canada? Because after years living under Hitler, it was the Canadians who came marching in bringing liberation (and chocolate for the kids). There are parts of Holland where being Canadian will get you invited home by people you've never met before for dinner.

Canada is a great country whose principals I believe in and which I'm more than proud to call my home. We have always supported our friends when we believe their cause to be just and while our military is not the strong force it once was and certainly is no match for the might of the U.S. forces, we do what we can to make war torn places safer for the civilians caught up in events beyond their control. Our services lay down their lives to protect people they've never met. I don't think that makes them wimps - it makes them heroes.

This is in no way a criticism of the United States. America is the most powerful country on the planet and while I may take issue with your elected leadership the citizens of the U.S. are mainly caring, generous people many of whom I'm proud to have as my friends. And now I'm just rambling (you can tell I'm no writer!) but for some reason I felt the need to get this off my not inconsiderable chest.

Love to you all and, for Fenian ... Slainte!

7. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

I'd take one of you over 20 of those National Review assmunchers, HC.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Is the National Review really The National Lampoon? Haven't read such silliness since David Frum's last op-ed piece.

I hope no one in Canada gets offended when people like Jonah Goldberg write ugly nonsense. They don't really mean it. They're just trying to be vile, as a substitute for how men might talk.

No offense. Just more stupidity from the Limbaughesque mouth-breathers.

Coincidentally, there was an article in the Globe today about house prices in Canada.

Victoria's at the top: AVERAGE house price around $580,000

9. jimmymcd

jimmymcd Guest

On behalf of America, I'd like to apologize for berks like FB. I can't believe anyone reads the mouthbreathers at Huffytime Post.

TBS, Canada's a great place to visit. Nice, hard-working people and great scenery. Well, except that pit called Montreal.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Jesus, Junkie, take a fucking pill.

"Allow us to be a sovereign nation".??

You're sounding like Hondo.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I do.
    Maybe you should go golfing and get it out of your system. :)

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Junkie,

Consider the source.

It's Flash. I think she calls everyone a prick. Even people she likes.

Draft saved Draft deleted