1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jr. College Question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pete Incaviglia, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Why I don't know or remember this is beyond me, but do JuCos offer full-ride athletic scholarships? I know it's a popular path for baseball players, so I assume so.

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Division I baseball players don't even get full-ride scholarships for the most part.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes. Jucos have scholarships. Rare that a baseball player would get a whole scholly, though.

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

NYT series, previously discussed: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/10/sports/10scholarships.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=College+Athletic+Scholarships&st=nyt&oref=slogin

Excluding the glamour sports of football and basketball, the average N.C.A.A. athletic scholarship is nowhere near a full ride, amounting to $8,707. In sports like baseball or track and field, the number is routinely as low as $2,000. Even when football and basketball are included, the average is $10,409. Tuition and room and board for N.C.A.A. institutions often cost between $20,000 and $50,000 a year.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

What he said. Division I JuCos have scholarships in every sport, Division II only in the major ones (football, baseball, basketball).

The reason baseball players go the JuCo route is because they can get drafted after both years. If they go 4-year, they've got to stay 3 (unless they're 21 at the end of their sophomore year).

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

What he said.
    I have a cousin about to start at a JUCO in WV, and the draft thing is exactly why he's doing it.

7. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Now this I definitely didn't know - and I should have. Thanks Steak. I didn't know the two years/three years thing.

Of course, thanks to everyone else, too.

8. Steak Snabler

No sweat. In one of my former lives, I was SID at a JuCo in Mississippi, where JuCo sports are pretty big ...

9. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

It's sort of true. The other big reason kids went JuCo was because they could get drafted after their freshman year and the team could wait to sign him until the week before draft of his sophomore year (essentially following him for another season to watch him progress/not progress). That's no longer the case. Deadline to sign guys is before the end of the season he was drafted in.

10. Steak Snabler

But you can still get drafted after your freshman JuCo year, and go pro if you want to.

11. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Not quite. Division I jucos offer full rides and can only play Division I

Division II jucos can only offer partial scholarships (usually books and tuition) but can play Division I

Division III jucos have no scholarships but can play in any division.

Many Division I schools that play baseball have a handful of full rides they save for studs and divide up the rest of the scholarships. Division I basketball players are about the only juco teams where pretty much every player is on a full ride.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I posted the NYTimes article originally that Pirates reposted. I think there were five articles in the series. Can't recommend it enough. A real eye-opener.

Draft saved Draft deleted