1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalists and political donations

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by statrat, Jun 21, 2007.

?

Is it acceptable for journalists to make political donations?

1. Yes

13.6%
  2. No

45.8%
  3. Only if they are not covering politics

40.7%
  1. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Because we're all on welfare? (j/k)

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I just wonder what $500 worth of Skittles would look like. ...

3. JackS

JackS Member

OK, let me make things murky again...

If people see us as extensions of our newspapers, then why can newspapers get away with endorsing candidates? Should we as journalists not should push for an end to it?

And as for donating to "causes," what about those of us who are forced to "donate" to TNG? The Guild cheerleads for one party just as fervently as the other organizations I named above.

4. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

As I recall, there was a lot of talk around here in 2004 that newspapers should stop endorsing candidates. I agree.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm with Wingman. There's no proof that newspaper endorsments influence anybody's votes, and it opens the paper up for more solid (IMHO) charges of bias.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

http://www.journalismprofessor.com/2007/06/on-journalists-and-political-donations.html

That Chris Daly is one smart dude. And no, I'm not Chris Daly, but it does look like he cruises SportsJournalists.com, and good for him.

7. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Good reporters (generally) distrust authority, take stands for the little guy/gal and are fairly cynical. Those are traits that you don't associate with being a conservative. Plus, the fact that this profession doesn't pay jack tends to scare off those who celebrate the free market enterprise system.

8. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

My daughter wanted to put a Hillary sticker on her car. I had to tell her not to do so because once in a great while, my wife or I take her car to work. All that would be needed is some wing nut taking pictures of cars going into the company lot to show "liberal bias" on the part of the people there.

Yes, we give up some things by being journalists. Yes, it's worth it.

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

When I was hired by the CBC, I was told I couldn't post any candidate's sign on my lawn.

Didn't stop the newsroom from having a huge Kerry/Edwards poster on the wall.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I didn't see the results. Was Kerry elected president of Canada?

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Give money? What? I vote. That's plenty. Although I did loan my car to my son while he was a volunteer for Deval Patrick last fall. Is that a donation in kind?

12. statrat

statrat Member

It's worth checking the comments on his article as well. The MSNBC reporter who wrote the piece responds to some of Daly' criticisms.

Draft saved Draft deleted