1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalistically: Giants win or Patriots loss?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GBNF, Feb 3, 2008.

?

Should media outlets highlight the Giants Super Bowl win or the Patriots first loss?

1. Giants win

32 vote(s)
    68.1%
  2. Patriots loss

15 vote(s)
    31.9%
  1. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

It may not be the most original headline that anyone could use but to most people coming in believed that NY was going to lose. So I thought that NY being David and the Patriots was Goliath.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I'm with you SN. As cliche as it seems to us, it's the right analogy to use, and the one where readers will think to themselves; 'Yeah..'

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

The Giants did what 41 other teams have done in Super Bowl history. But what happened to the Patriots has never happened before. I think that's gotta be the focus of coverage.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

If you're not in/near the NY market, the Patriots losing is probably the bigger story.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm in the giants win camp.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think it is if the Patriots had blown it. But I think because of the manner in which the Giants won the game, they become the story.

7. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Giants win. Greatest team in NFL history loses. Greatest offense in NFL history shut down. Greatest QB in NFL history doesn't win. Greatest ... well, you get the picture. Giants win.

8. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

You can argue as long as you want, but in the end I think it comes down to whether you're optimistic or pessimistic. Positive or negative.

The positive story is the Giants overcoming ridiculous odds. The negative story is the perfect team not so perfect anymore.

Me? I side with the positive. I believe my readers would prefer it that way.

And yes, you could get ridiculously philosophical about this.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so, i'm mr. positive? awesome.

10. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Doesn't really fit, does it?

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

I don't know, Gomer, I thought Tom's halftime performance was pretty positive.

12. I would love to read this blog.

Draft saved Draft deleted