1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalist/PR Relationship in 'Web 2.0' Research

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Adam_Web2.0, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Adam_Web2.0

Adam_Web2.0 New Member

Hello Sports Journalists friends :),

I am conducting fresh research into the PR/Journalist relationship and the changing effects Web 2.0 has had on relations. Ranging from the very current use of Twitter as a newswire to the advent of Social Media Newsrooms.

I would be very grateful if you could spare a moment to fill in this survey on the future nature of the Journalist/ PR relationship. The results of which I hope you find informative in developing more effective communication with your PR contacts:

Click here for the survey:

http://s-2a4d6-41504.sgizmo.com

This is to be crossed with PR perceptions so I'm aiming for results which are advantageous for both parties for future communications. All findings will be released into the blogosphere for discussion (already have over 50 PR bloggers involved) and if you would like to be added to my mailing list please email me at abunab@gmail.com.

Any help you can offer is deeply appreciated,

Thank you and best wishes,

Adam

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I'd estimate 75 percent of SportsJournalists.com will likely find your post a colossal waste of time.

3. Adam_Web2.0

Adam_Web2.0 New Member

In response to that - are you fed up with lazy communicators who cannot use the appropriate media to communicate directly with you?

The interesting thing I find is that PR's and Journalists are learning as they go but Journalists are getting the benefit of all the PR's input but it's not a two way street.

The Journalists are becoming savvy faster, all be it from a low base.

It does mean that the PR industry has to invest in discovering what is possible and research is a necessary part of this.

Your involvement is appreciated and let me know if you'd like to be added to the mailing list for results.

Thanks, Adam

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Who's bringing the popcorn?

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Adam, are you familiar with one Mr. Scott Newman?

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Not me. I brought the beer.

7. Adam_Web2.0

Adam_Web2.0 New Member

Hi FDP,

I haven't come across that name before, no. How should I be?

Adam

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

You'll find him if you hunt for him. I'd try looking outside the box first.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Dearest Adam,
    I took your survey, and it seems you don't know how most newspapers work.
    At my shop, we are not allowed to look at many of the social sites, like facebook. It goes from suspension to termination, same goes for some other aspects of the interwebs.
    This isn't to insult you or your group, but I couldn't get on Skype or twitter if I wanted to.
    Also many of the things on the webs don't play well with Macs and most newspapers are all-Mac environments. So some things simply don't work.
    I do think that the interweb has helped make my life easier. E-mail press releases. Photo attachments. That sort of thing. It actually can help with background or to provide a certain kind of context, but the e-mails I get are mostly from people who I have already built a relationship with from heavy face-to-face or phone contact.
    The idea that I would use something like second life to make my job easier is laughable, at best.

Best

Jay

10. Adam_Web2.0

Adam_Web2.0 New Member

Hi Jay - thanks,

You detail exactly why we need to research into what can potentially work for how Journalists work as communicators can potentially get it catastrophically wrong. A great deal of communicators right now are diving in head first and head down attempting to enter conversational media with a non-reciprical one-way communication approach - it was interesting reading the Edelman white paper that was recently published stressing the problem with this. Over here in the UK, for example, Downing Street is now using Twitter as a newswire for press releases and updates. Almost RSS-like.

Thanks again for your help,
    Adam

11. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

did Garry Howard proof-read this post?

12. You're right about that. How the hell would I ever survive without the "benefit" of sunny press releases and the stonewalling of interview requests.

I am definitely not giving back in the manner I should.

Draft saved Draft deleted