1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalist James Foley executed by ISIS

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Aug 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/19/james-foley-executed-isis_n_5692695.html

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Mr. Foley, 40, a freelance journalist who was working for GlobalPost, an online publication based in Boston, as well as Agence France-Presse, went missing on Nov. 22, 2012 in Syria. He was held alongside several other American prisoners, whose families have insisted on a news blackout.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/20/world/middleeast/isis-james-foley-syria-execution.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&smid=tw-nytimes

Shit. Families can demand a news blackout, and the media will honor it?

Why didn't Darren Wilson's family insist on a news blackout?

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Apparently there's a video of him being beheaded that's been bouncing around the internet. But I think I'll pass on looking for link.

Jeez, just when we thought the Mideast couldn't get more fucked up, along comes ISIS, which may end up being the scariest damn group yet. If there's one lesson I hope we've all learned over the last decade it's that the "opening the path to democracy" bullshit doesn't work so well in that part of the world. An authoritarian govt led by an iron-fisted dictator can be vastly preferable to the alternative.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

And the president called this the junior varsity squad.
    There is power, anger and bloodthirstiness fulminating in this organization.
    Cancer cells cluster quickly.

5. YankeeFan

#ISISmediaBlackout

The same media who can't wait to get violent protestors in Ferguson on camera, want a blackout of coverage for ISIS, and the beheading of Foley.

It's like they think the attention will encourage them.

6. YankeeFan

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I have no idea what your last sentence even means.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I don't want to see the video. I didn't want to see the Daniel Pearl video. But I couldn't avoid the Abu Ghraib stuff, which was not an execution. The media sure promoted Abu Ghraib as an American atrocity which played well. I don't want anyone to witness the sadistic murder of Mr Foley by religious degenerates, but the US is a DIII JV compared to the Islamic terrorists, the Russians, the Chinese, and couple dozen African nations and tribes.

In context we, the USA, are a morally superior nation. Sometimes we need to be reminded of that.

Bless Mr Foley's family

9. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I refuse to watch the video. But I pray that his death came quick and he did not suffer much.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

If the previous president had called Al Qaeda the "junior varsity," how often do you think the media would have reminded everyone? I haven't seen one mention of this in news reports since ISIS rose to prominence.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

You must not get Google in your bunker.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/politics/2014/08/08/iraq-chaos-threatens-obama-foreign-policy-legacy/TD731pl2FLmQWnQHErQq4M/story.html

12. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

What an awful story.

As for media, blackout the video, blackout the details if need be, but if the meaning of "blackout" is sweeping it under the rug and pretending it didn't happen that just doesn't sit right with me. It is news. Horrible, despicable news, but still news.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.