1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalism to medical related area

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Leaver?, May 6, 2011.

1. Leaver?

Leaver? New Member

Hi folks,
    Quick question, anyone know of any sports journalists/reporters who have made the switch from this business to a totally unrelated field, in the medical area?
    Looking into it at the moment. Big commitment for someone in late 20's, but curious to know how people who have fared when they've made a completely clean break.
    I mean most folks who get canned tend to string/work as teacher/do PR, and seem to do very well, but has anyone gone an entirely different route?
    Somedays I think a complete break mightn't be a bad thing.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Tell that to folks I know who got laid off two years ago, and still are unemployed.

3. Leaver?

Leaver? New Member

Very fair point wicked, what I meant is those who do get an opportunity post the biz, tend to do ok.

4. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

I know a couple people who made the jump from news-side. They couldn't have been happier.

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Nursing, that's what I always say.

6. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

If the medically related field that you consider is in pateint care, please appreciate that shift work and holidays are normal expectations. And one should want to work with and help people. Also consider that there are variety of positions available in medicine that don't touch patients, where journalism, writing and computer skills are appreciated and needed.

Draft saved Draft deleted