1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalism school...is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JR, Jun 16, 2006.

1. WSKY

WSKY Member

I got a degree in communication, and I've done pretty good. The college I went to doesn't have an actual J-School, but its school paper is way better than any other college in the state because it's set in a metropolitan area that attracts a slew of different shit to cover, outside of your normal D-I stuff that is.

So there are schools in that state that do have J-Schools, but the non-J that I went to always kills when it comes time for awards. So, I guess in this case, no.

2. House

House Guest

Fom my viewpoint, college is not just about hitting the books, but making contacts that will land jobs. It's not what you know, it's who you know.

Some of the basic classes taught me about leads, nut graphs, concise writing, interview techniques. Other than that, it was Quark, photography and ethics/law.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I will tell you that if you can write, you can write (and that's kinda what my former j-school prof told me). He will say that pure writers are just born with the ability.

And I will reply, writing is just the base.

Anything after that (research skills, FOIA, etics, etc. ) is just somthing you'll have to pick up along the way in order to succeed. In this biz, attention to very, VERY minute detail has copped me many a scoop that Big Bad Daily has whiffed on.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Pevere's column could double as a piece on modern poetry, which is largely inpenetrable because it's been hijacked by higher education.

His point about film schools....eh, don't really agree. A lot of serious talent ran through film school. And the TV renaissance we're experience with the 20 or so excellent shows on these days. A lot of those people are film schoolers.

Draft saved Draft deleted