1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalism Major or Grad School?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FantasyAlliance.cm, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Is it a good idea to major in journalism or take it in grad school? If you major in journalism, can you get a good job after 4 years of college?

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

If by good job you mean a paycheck, yes. If you think you'll just hop on to a nice pro beat or something somewhere, then put down the blunt.

3. I guess what I'm asking is if there is any big advantage of going to grad school versus majoring in journalism?

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

There's not, and frankly journalists really don't make enough to justify getting a grad degree.

5. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

I also would vote against grad school. I always have wondered why people feel the need to attend grad school if they are interested in journalism. This is one profession where you learn best by doing.
    Side note: My kid is interested in majoring in journalism for some strange reason. Anyway, we were looking at colleges and when we visited Syracuse, they told him if he got his undergrad degree in journalism at Syracuse, they would not allow him to get a grad degree in journalism there. They said it was because they would have taught him all they could in four years and there was no need for additional college training.
    And Syracuse ain't exactly a bad journalism school. I think they know what they are talking about given all the J studs that have come out of there.

6. Flying Headbutt

Good for them, Brett.

7. Flying Headbutt

BTW, Brett, if he's trying to get into broadcast, a degree from Syracuse automatically guarantees his first job somewhere. No matter how much of a dunce your kid may or may not be. Hell, if he's smart then he'll get a good first job.

8. Floyd

Floyd Member

A grad degree is only really helpful if A.) You didn't major in journalism in undergrad and you are looking to break into the business, or B.) you want to teach. Other than that, no need for an MA in journalism.

If you are serious about landing a good journalism job with a newspaper or mag, going the four-year route is much better. You'll have time to work at a number of internships, and that's your best way to land a (relatively speaking) quality gig after graduation. J-school is as much (or maybe more) about meeting people and making connections as it is about actual training for the job.

And yes, 'Cuse is the best.

9. JCT89

JCT89 Active Member

Outside of Syracuse what are the other top schools for both print and for broadcast. I've heard Mizzou mentioned around here, but what makes Mizzou so great? I know that Syracuse has a who's who of sports broadcasters, but who are some of the bigger names out of Missouri outside of Elizabeth Vargas?

10. Mizzou, Indiana, Columbia, Ohio and Northwestern, for starters.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Ohio is the world's bestest journalism school.

Texas has a pretty good program too.

12. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

I'd throw in Maryland, Iowa and Boston University, too. For print, anyway. Don't know about broadcast.
    But, really, if you want to be a sportswriter, seems like the best bet is to go to a D-1 sports school with a daily paper. Write your ass off, learn by doing. And read a ton. Take a few journalism classes, sure, but major in something else, so that you might have other skills if this industry's in the shitter by the time you're looking to put down roots.
    As for grad school, after college and a couple of years working, I went and got a masters' in something that I now write about, which helps me do my job and (I think) boosts my odds of getting a better one. It wasn't that expensive either, cheaper than Columbia or Northwestern, that's for sure. But I'm a news-sider. Not sure that would work as much in sports.

Draft saved Draft deleted