1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalism as defined by a St. Louis newscast

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Lotterys4suckers, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

On her résumé:

2. Is this really a news broadcast or is it a magazine style show? Not that it makes much difference but just curious what we're dealing with here.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, cos graduates from no other college are funneled into the fluffy side of TV news. ::) And Verse, for a TV journalist, that is probably not frivolous information to a potential employer.

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Misread it as "gums." Man, she's got some gums.

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

she's a 5, tops. the bestie is a 7

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

It's not a news show. It's not even really a talk show. Shows like that are essentially a series of paid advertising segments with filler here and there geared to mommies.

I can't speak to this specific show, but typically they have no connection to the news department at all. We have one at my station that is run by programming and sales. No one in the newsroom has any role in it whatsoever.

7. Lotterys4suckers

Lotterys4suckers New Member

It doesn't matter. She's wearing a shirt with the station on it that says "news," she identifies herself as a journalist and the whole segment reflects on the news organization.

She could have done this segment so many different ways, none of which involve flirting with Freese or calling him "her boyfriend" or bringing along her best friend and referring to her as her bestie.

8. printit

printit Member

The logo at the top of the screen, "Where the news comes first" makes the whole thing for me.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

More like an unbelievable good sport. I didn't think he was all that uncomfortable, which was amazing. Maybe the blonde loosened him up.

By being there, I mean.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

But they're a 12 if you do them together.

Which Freese so obviously did.

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

As a "teevee" guy, I don't like this type of programming but I know it makes the station some money for, relatively, little cost. Hire two or three small-market reporters who desperately want to me on in St. Louis, pay them relatively little and, boom, there's your show.

A show like this is to a TV newsroom is what the "bridge tips next to the movie listings" are to your newspaper. Filler.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"Mr. Freeze's Reverse Blast."

Hmmmmmmmmm....

As for the BFF, what's up with the black jacket over the cleavage-baring tank top? You gotta use what brings you to the party.

Draft saved Draft deleted