1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journal Register Co. files for bankruptcy - again

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WolvEagle, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Journal Register CEO John Paton, who last year said it had "reduced its debt by 28 percent from a height of $225 million in 2009," did not respond to requests for comment Thursday.

Media execs hiding from the media when their own company falters.

Total horseshit. They are ethically bankrupt. Stand up and answer questions like adults.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Betcha he gets a nice six- or seven-figure bonus for this. BECAUSE HE WORKS HARD AND DESERVES IT AND KEPT THE COMPANY ALIVE FOR AN EXTRA YEAR AND HE'LL GO SOMEWHERE ELSE IF HE DOESN'T GET IT!!!!

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

In my state, if you get a bad payroll check, then you and your bank can file charges against your employer, forcing them to pay any overdrafts, cover the checks written after you were paid under the threat of being charged with a felony.

Bouncing a payroll check is serious business. You got a check in good faith, it isn't your fault that your employer is a deadbeat and wrote you a bad check.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Saving all that money for the trophies: http://www.insidethunderdome.com/2013/02/21/announcing-annual-dfmie-awards/

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Spending a lot of effort on awards (as evidenced by the three-screen-long list of rules) and back-patting as opposed to spending that much effort reforming the media company is ass-backward.

6. Baron Scicluna

It may have been another company, but I keep thinking it was JRC that was the one that once had a bally-hooed contest in which any employee that came up with an idea that generated something like $50 or $100 million in revenue would get a $1 million bonus.

The joke, of course, was that if anyone had an idea to generate that much revenue, they sure as hell wouldn't be sharing it with JRC. They'd be going into business for themselves.

7. Riptide

I worked for a big paper that would reward employee suggestions by giving them 10 percent of the estimated annual savings. Then one guy came up with an idea that would save the paper $5 million a year. He got $5,000.

8. Baron Scicluna

I know it's up to the discretion of the company. But I wonder if, the paper had the promotion in writing to the employees, if the employee wouldn't have a case for lawsuit.

9. Riptide

We all wondered the same thing. It was in writing and promoted heavily.

10. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

JRC sent out another letter, but I didn't receive it. Instead, I found out about it on Poynter. Among the proposals: 15 percent pay cuts and having to pay 50 percent of our health insurance costs.

I'm not sure if they're only targeting the union shops like the Macomb Daily, or it's for everyone. I'm in a nonunion shop where the new staff writers are earning in the low 20s annually. I've been there 24 years and am not at the bottom of the pay scale, but I sure as heck am not getting rich.

http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/mediawire/205855/mich-unions-say-jrc-has-declared-war-threaten-strike/#.UTDfImJzAWM.facebook

11. Baron Scicluna

Yeah, at some point, you have to push back.

Like I said earlier, plan the strike for right before the sale takes place. JRC won't be able to do anything and the new company won't be able to hire any strikebreakers until they actually take over.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Trentonian folks supposed to find out their fates mid-April, sources say.

Draft saved Draft deleted