1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Josina Anderson & Michael Sam

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Elliotte Friedman, Aug 27, 2014.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Just about any "gay-related" story has the potential to be salacious. Clearly, such a topic is still a story, whether you agree that it should be, or not.

And just because something may be salacious doesn't mean that it may not be a story.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

How about we treat gay people like everyone else? Meaning, their private lives are none of yours or anyone's business.

His showering habits become a lot less interesting if you were to do that.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's not gonna happen, so why put blinders on and how it does? We report on the sex lives of our presidents in salacious detail, so it's a given that the showering habits of the first openly gay NFL player are considered fair game.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

This is where we look idi-fucking-otic as a society.

Hey, CDBoogie (sorry, but I'm using you in this instance because you're the most immediate poster), can you talk to me about your showering habits with chicks? Do you lust for their dripping vaginas? Do you hand-scrub their assholes with hot sudsy water? Do you fantasize about titty-fucking them under the stream of steamy delight? Do you want to pound them into submission -- SCOREBOARD! -- as a warm beads rain down upon you?

You're not a professional football player or anything, but I still want to know what your showering life entails. I think it's really important that you disclose such habits to everyone here because keeping quiet could cause real discord on this message board full of professional journalists. We'll never be able to move forward as a team of journalistic message-board posters unless you tell us what happens in your world of showering.

5. CD Boogie

My showering habits with chicks? Have I been sent to a women's prison? There is a god!

6. MisterCreosote

It used to be part of a journalist's job to discern the difference between "news" and "salacious details."

7. tmr

tmr Member

One misconception I've seen is that this was the entire story. It wasn't. It was an anecdote in a positive story about Sam that went off the rails. It sounded like it came up in conversation with a player _ who truly didn't say Sam was showering by himself but he thought he might be _ and then she asked two more players if that were true. The showering angle is silly, as people here have noted, but it doesn't seem like it was premeditated story. Just a bad look all around.

8. CD Boogie

Considering the press during his time used to report on Thomas Jefferson's alleged affairs with his slaves, I'm wondering what era you're referring to.

9. MisterCreosote

Thomas Jefferson was the President of the United States. Accountable to an entire country of citizens.

Michael Sam is a football player who hasn't even made an NFL team yet. And, accountable to no one.

10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I'm intrigued by this idea that the president is accountable.

11. CD Boogie

The people decide who's accountable, whether we agree with it or not. You may think it's beneath you to report on the showering habits of others or to ask Tim Tebow if he's still a virgin, but it's not beneath everyone. And because there's a market for knowing the answers to such questions, certain types will keep asking them.

12. MisterCreosote

There's a name for people who are not above reporting on such things. Hint: It's not "journalist."

Draft saved Draft deleted