1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Josh Hancock family to sue

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Rules of Golf, May 24, 2007.

1. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

That's how some reporters I worked with once handled things.

2. Yep. All 82 of 'em.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

This is eerily similar to a story I read about a teenager in a town on the other side of the state who broke into a high school during a holiday weekend, broke into the gym which was locked then broke the lock on the room with the equipment in it -- got out one of those mini trampolines and was using it to dunk basketballs.

He then apparently jumped too high on one attempt and ended up landing on his back and breaking his neck. His parents sued the school and won.

What a great country.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

assholes.

Exactly what is wrong with America.

TAKE FUCKING RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ACTIONS!

Maybe the tow-truck company can sue the family for giving birth to the fucker.

5. IU90

IU90 Member

At risk of sounding like an insensitive bastard, this is a load overlitigious crap. Nobody forced Hancock to get drunk. Nobody forced him to get behind the wheel of a car. Nobody else is at fault for his death.

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I think I'm pretty safe in saying the lawyers are in this strictly for money and publicity.

Because there's no other logical explanation for this.

7. IU90

IU90 Member

You're right, but only because it will never get in front of a jury. It will be settled by defendant's lawyers paying off Hancock's family to make this disappear; along with a confidentiality agreement preventing admission of liability or disclosure of the settlement terms or amount paid. That's how suits like this usually go away.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

I no longer feel a bit of sympathy for Hancock's family.
    Their son was driving drunk and probably high. Only one person is to blame for his death.

9. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Did the tow truck put flares down on the road? Did the driver of the stalled vehicle? Hancock might have been hammered but if those two didn't follow the law, negligence could be proved.

10. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

If memory serves correctly, the tow truck had its emergency lights going.

Additionally, from the article:

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

The thing that caught my eye in the wire story was that Shannon's is alleged to have made sure that Hancock always had a drink in his hand while he was there.

There have been plenty of times I have gone out for one or two drinks and "always had a drink in [my] hands," since I don't let go of it.

I'm sure there are multiple servers there. How are they supposed to keep track of every buzzed person and their state?

12. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

It said, "It's our understanding that from the moment Josh Hancock entered Mike Shannon's that night that he was never without a drink." There's a difference; it didn't say the Mike Shannon's staff made sure he always had a drink in his hand. It wouldn't be surprising if all sorts of people were providing him drinks.

Not getting on your case at all, Wicked; I completely agree with your point. And I think this distinction adds to it -- the servers can't keep track of who all is giving drinks to Hancock.

Draft saved Draft deleted